Feeding mikrotik on 24VH?

ColoCenter

Feeding mikrotik on 24VH?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Will feeding a mikrotik on 24VH (port 2 on WS-6-mini) kill the mikrotik or power it normally?

I need the 4 "V" ports for ubnt devices.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Feeding mikrotik on 24VH?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:04 pm

This would be a question to research on the MikroTik device.

If the device is not designed to get power on all 4 pair it could damage both devices.

But for people to be much help you might want to specify the model in question as Mikrotik makes many.

On this thread I have only seen people powering MT devices with standard 24V and 48V (2 Pair).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1215

As I understand it most MT devices take 24V and 48V POE so if you have an extra airFIBER POE brick laying around you can try and power it with the POE brick that way your only risking 1 device.

If it does accepts 24VH and 48VH I would use 48VH to power it as it is normally better to use the higher voltage option.

ON a side note if it is a 1G port on the MT chances are they are using a 4 channel Ethernet Transformer taking the power from the center tab and then as long as they are not doing anything funny like UBNT does with the remote factory default on the POE brick you might be OK? As I said only risk 1 device and use an airFIBER POE brick as it uses all 4 pair just like the 24VH and 48VH POE option on our switch.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ColoCenter

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Good one with the airfiber brick. Will test it with a cheap hEX lite, since it will be simular to the one i will end up using. I'll report back with the result, fried or alive :-)

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:30 pm

ColoCenter wrote:Good one with the airfiber brick. Will test it with a cheap hEX lite...
Seeing as the hEX lite is only 10/100 and 6V to 30V I would be concerned about trying it on the AF PoE brick.

Maybe try a http://routerboard.com/RBGPOE-CON-HP converter to see if it can take the 50V on all pairs.

Return to General Discussion