WISPSwitch as midspan poe injector?

abjornson

WISPSwitch as midspan poe injector?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 pm

I am on the road and away from my lab where i have a netonix switch to test. I *think* I understand this is possible with the Q mode of vlan memebership...but I figure someone must have already done/tried this and was hoping to get a quick confirmation.

I would like to configure a WISPSwitch WS-24-400B as a midspan poe Injector, putting PoE out on the top row of ports, and connecting ethernet devices on the bottom row of ports. The PoE part is easy - it's the vlan configuration I'm wondering about.

Each top/bottom pair of ports should be linked - such that any tagged or untagged VLAN traffic entering the bottom port is sent out the top port directly above with the same VLAN tags, and vice versa.

The configuration should allow reuse of the same VLANs on different pairs of ports *without the VLAN being treated as a single VLAN across all 4 ports.*
For example: consider ports 1-2 as a pair, and ports 3-4 as a pair:

traffic tagged vlan2 entering port 1 should exit port 2 and only port 2 tagged vlan2traffic tagged vlan2 entering port 3 should exit port 4 and only port 4 tagged vlan2
Ideally, I'd prefer a generic configuration where I didn't have to configure for specific vlans involved - i.e. any tagged or untagged traffic regardless of vlan id.

I think I can accomplish this with the "Q" mode port setting, by basically making each top/bottom pair members of of the same vlan, and setting them both for "Q" mode.
Is this true?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WISPSwitch as midspan poe injector?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:48 pm

No, it does not use Q. Q will add an outer VLAN Tag on ingress packets and strips the outer VLAN tag on egress packets. Google QinQ and read to understand QinQ and how it functions.

If you not passing VLANs then it is easy, just create a VLAN, ID number is not important, and put say a U on port 1 and a U on port 2 and an E on all the other ports.

If you need to pass VLANs then you create a VLAN with the ID of one of the VLANs you want to pass and put a T on port 1 and a T on port 2 and an E on all other ports.
If you need to pass multiple VLANs then check the check box on port 1 and 2 for Trunk Port/Allowed VLANs and edit the list to include all VLANs you want to pass on the mid-span.

If you want to pass U and T traffic you need 2 VLANs for each mid span

Make sure you MTU is large enough.

Although come to think of it Q might work......hmmmmmmm
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

abjornson

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Sorry - I think I explained what I was trying to do poorly.

I am totally comfortable with T/U and VLANs.

My issue is that i want to use the WispSwitch as a midspan PoE for traffic that is already vlan tagged. I don't want the wisp switch to be "aware" of the existing vlans on the traffic. I just want it to pass them.

In other words, i would like to:
* send traffic tagged VLAN 2 into port 2, and have it come out port 1 still tagged VLAN2
* send traffic tagged VLAN2 into port 4, and have it come out port 3 still tagged VLAN2
* send traffic tagged VLAN2 into port 6, and have it come out port 5 still tagged VLAN2

I do *not* want the VLAN2 tagged traffic entering port 2 to leave port 3, 4, 5, or 6.

I think if I did the following, it would achieve what i want:
* create 12 vlans, numbered 20-32
* assign ports 1, 2 to vlan20
* assign ports 3, 4 to vlan21
* assign ports 5, 6 to vlan21
* and so on
* make all ports mode "Q"

I think that all vlans entering port 2 will leave port 1 still tagged with their inner vlans, and will not be sent to ports 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Is this right?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Yes, it should work with Q.

1 & 2 Q with vlan id 20
3 & 4 Q with vlanid 21
Etc

Just don't forget to raise the MTU for the service tag overhead.

abjornson

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks @mike99!

popcorrin

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:36 pm

sirhc wrote:No, it does not use Q. Q will add an outer VLAN Tag on ingress packets and strips the outer VLAN tag on egress packets. Google QinQ and read to understand QinQ and how it functions.

If you not passing VLANs then it is easy, just create a VLAN, ID number is not important, and put say a U on port 1 and a U on port 2 and an E on all the other ports.

If you need to pass VLANs then you create a VLAN with the ID of one of the VLANs you want to pass and put a T on port 1 and a T on port 2 and an E on all other ports.
If you need to pass multiple VLANs then check the check box on port 1 and 2 for Trunk Port/Allowed VLANs and edit the list to include all VLANs you want to pass on the mid-span.

If you want to pass U and T traffic you need 2 VLANs for each mid span

Make sure you MTU is large enough.

I think I follow everything until you get to "If you want to pass U and T traffic you need 2 VLANs for each mid span" . Could someone elaborate on this. How would the 2nd vlan look?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:16 pm

1 & 2 = Q20
3 & 4 = Q21
5 & 6 = Q22

Every vlan (1 to 4094) will passthrough 1 & 2 while being isolated from 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Every vlan (1 to 4094) will passthrough 3 & 4 while being isolated from 1, 2, 5 and 6.
Etc.

popcorrin

Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:40 am

I wasn't using Q. I was following SirHc's post. My plan was to use his instructions but if Q is better I don't mind switching. Could you give more detailed instructions on how to do it with Q? A picture would be nice. :)

mike99
Associate
Associate

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:34 am

Code: Select all

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
21 Q Q E E E E E E
22 E E Q Q E E E E
23 E E E E Q Q E E
24 E E E E E E Q Q

Ports are not align well but html is not friendly with space. You should still be able to understand.

Return to General Discussion