Netonix Manager / Control Software

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Netonix Manager / Control Software

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm

So here is the scoop, provided sales continue on as good or better in 2018 than in 2017 as 2018 is the first year that Netonix is now operating in the black. All seed money and back pay has been cleared off it's books.

For 2018 we hired a new programmer to help Eric, his name is Stephen.

At this point he is scheduled to take over the current WS switch line and the MANAGER.

Obviously for the first couple months he is learning and will not be playing an active role in development but over the next few months he will move into position and begin to help with development freeing up Eric to concentrate on new product lines that have been languishing in the wings.

Eric will then concentrate on the WS2 line (10G / Layer 3) of switches and "other" products that have been sitting on the engineer's (Dave) desk.

I think Netonix has done well with limited staff and resources, if our customer base remains loyal and we begin to move into the positive cash arenia we can hire even more staff and equipment to further improve our lines and increase our product offerings.

We grew at just under 100% between 2015 and 2016 and just over 30% from 2016 to 2017.
At the current rate of growth 2018 could be a $6 to $10 MILLION year.

Our volumes are rising which will lower our costs which is good because our GPM is too low at around 25% to 30% keeping in mind UBNT operates on 40% - 50% GPM.

This reduction in build costs will result in more resources, more R&D, and hopefully more and even better products moving forward.

Netonix will probably transition from an LLC to a C Corp in 2018 and build a cash reserve which at this point we do not have.

I just thought I would be open and transparent as to where we are, what we have overcome, and where we want to go in 2018 if we are lucky enough to maintain your much appreciated support.

So anyway thanks for your support and here is hopefully to a great 2018 and the year that marks a turning point for Netonix? Pirate4
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am

sirhc wrote:
2] throughput numbers don't match the web interface

The manager has a much slower telemetry update compared to the web UI which is every second so they will almost never match.

Not sure how that can ever match with the delay factor involved.

Revisiting this from Nov 2016.

Installed v1.0.7 today after cleaning up /var/lib/netonix-manager and am glad to report this version is much more stable for me now on Ubuntu.

The throughput numbers aren't even close still though. Even with slower telemetry I wouldn't expect such a wide variance.
The switch in my screenshots has very stable throughput - dedicated to 5 UBNT G3 cameras. Other switches are also mostly stable throughput and do not match.

Once Eric settles back in from his holiday, and Stephen gets up to speed, I'd like to ask that they look into this.
Have tried many other solutions to monitor bandwidth and none are as simple to configure (or have so many other benefits) as the Netonix Manager.

Feature request would be to have a total bandwidth figure as well. This would be beneficial for planning.
Thanks guys !

Manager_info.JPG
Manager says

WS6_graphs.JPG
WS6 says

WS6_one_port.JPG
WS6 single port - typical of all 5

jakematic
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:34 pm

jakematic wrote:The throughput numbers aren't even close still though.

Pretty sure I figured this out.
To be on the safe side I upgraded to the latest FW 1.4.9 and checked again.

This time it dawned on me that the Manager is reporting an 8X difference across the switches.
That can only mean it is actually reporting MBps even though it shows Mbps in the interface - which the converted #s bear out.

So I think it is either a typo, or Manager is pulling MBps when it should be pulling Mbps from the switches.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass... little stuff like that bugs me :crazy:

EDIT: Am totally loving having the Manager, it simplifies things SO much. THanks!

Converter.JPG
MBps to Mbps
Last edited by jakematic on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Jake

Thanks, yur awesome!

Dave

michwave

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 am

sirhc wrote:So here is the scoop, provided sales continue on as good or better in 2018 than in 2017 as 2018 is the first year that Netonix is now operating in the black. All seed money and back pay has been cleared off it's books.

For 2018 we hired a new programmer to help Eric, his name is Stephen.

At this point he is scheduled to take over the current WS switch line and the MANAGER.

Obviously for the first couple months he is learning and will not be playing an active role in development but over the next few months he will move into position and begin to help with development freeing up Eric to concentrate on new product lines that have been languishing in the wings.

Eric will then concentrate on the WS2 line (10G / Layer 3) of switches and "other" products that have been sitting on the engineer's (Dave) desk.

I think Netonix has done well with limited staff and resources, if our customer base remains loyal and we begin to move into the positive cash arenia we can hire even more staff and equipment to further improve our lines and increase our product offerings.

We grew at just under 100% between 2015 and 2016 and just over 30% from 2016 to 2017.
At the current rate of growth 2018 could be a $6 to $10 MILLION year.

Our volumes are rising which will lower our costs which is good because our GPM is too low at around 25% to 30% keeping in mind UBNT operates on 40% - 50% GPM.

This reduction in build costs will result in more resources, more R&D, and hopefully more and even better products moving forward.

Netonix will probably transition from an LLC to a C Corp in 2018 and build a cash reserve which at this point we do not have.

I just thought I would be open and transparent as to where we are, what we have overcome, and where we want to go in 2018 if we are lucky enough to maintain your much appreciated support.

So anyway thanks for your support and here is hopefully to a great 2018 and the year that marks a turning point for Netonix? Pirate4

Any eta on 10G?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 am

The 10G products are designed and prototype are built they are in software development.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1493&p=22804&hilit=ws2#p22804

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3021&p=22563&hilit=ws2#p22563
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

horse1bun

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 am

First, I just want to say what a HUGE help this was getting all our switches up to date! This is awesome!

I noticed when I first entered my devices the netonix manager pulled the configs. I don't see a way to pull them again, is there a way? A button or how?

Apologies if this questions was answered I tried searching the forums didn't see it mentioned. Thanks!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am

horse1bun wrote:First, I just want to say what a HUGE help this was getting all our switches up to date! This is awesome!

I noticed when I first entered my devices the netonix manager pulled the configs. I don't see a way to pull them again, is there a way? A button or how?

Apologies if this questions was answered I tried searching the forums didn't see it mentioned. Thanks!

Anytime you do a "Save/Apply" on a switch that is on the Manager it will backup the config to the Manager.

The switch auto backs up the config 2 ways when you hit SAve/Apply:
1) If you have Auto TFTP setup on the Device/Config TAB it will backup to a TFTP server
2) If the switch is monitored by the Manager it backs up any config changes to the Manager

It will do one or both depending if you set them both up.

kakadaudi

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 am

Hi All,

I have my manager crashing every few hours for some reason. And a restart of the manager doesn't fix it. I have to restart the server itself for the manager to come back online. On reboot when the manager starts it asks to send a crash log report which i submit every time but not sure whether that's being checked.

Where do one go to check the netonix manager logs (not switch logs) in an ubuntu 16.04 server?

This is what I get on the browser even though status says the netonix manager is running.

"This site can’t be reached https://
netonix.company.com:3443 unexpectedly closed the connection.
Try:
Checking the connection Checking the proxy an_CONNECTION_CLOSED"

Any help much appreciated.

Rgds..
Dave

jakematic
Experienced Member

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:54 pm

kakadaudi wrote:I have my manager crashing every few hours for some reason. And a restart of the manager doesn't fix it. I have to restart the server itself for the manager to come back online.

Are you on 1.07 ? That seem to crash a hell of a let less on Ubuntu than it used to.
Restarting the service makes it very unhappy, have to reboot mine too on 16.04.3 LTS.

kakadaudi wrote:Where do one go to check the netonix manager logs (not switch logs) in an ubuntu 16.04 server?

/var/lib/netonix-manager/storage

kakadaudi wrote:This is what I get on the browser even though status says the netonix manager is running.

"This site can’t be reached https://
netonix.company.com:3443 unexpectedly closed the connection.

Have you tried by IP address ?
Unless your FQDN is actually netonix.company.com that doesn't look right to me...

EDIT: forgot to add - my 1.03 (-ish) did not upgrade well to 1.07 so I did an apt-get remove and then cd'd to /var/lib and recursively remove netonix-manager which seemed to help a lot

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion