Netonix Manager / Control Software

Brough

Re: Netonix Manager / Control Software

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 am

Another very minor user interface issue: After deleting the four remaining devices that had lost their names, I went to re-scan the four different /24 ranges of these devices. When you hit the "+" sign to scan a new range the previous addresses are filled in. This is very convenient, as you can just edit the 2 or 3 characters that change. Could you do the same thing for the "SSH Port"? We don't use port 22 for SSH into our equipment, so each time I had to re-type our alternate (4-digit) port number.

Brough

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am

I'm curious about the formatting of columns and column headers in the default "Devices" display. The image below shows how it appears on my screen (Google Chrome browser on a Windows 10 system). Using Firefox on the same Windows 10 box, it appears the same.

It sure would be nice to be able to widen the "Bandwidth" column.
And of course there could be better alignment of the column headings with the column data...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Devices as displayed by Chrome on Windows 10

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am

thanks, I have asked Eric to look at this for you, and yes, we need to clean this ap up somewhat....it's on our list....

LRL
Experienced Member

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 am

I have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to add another login users to get into the manager?

For backup reasons, is there specific file/folder we should be backing up int he event a restore was needed?
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:33 pm

LRL wrote:Is it possible to add another login users to get into the manager?

Nope.

LRL wrote:For backup reasons, is there specific file/folder we should be backing up int he event a restore was needed?

On Windows it is C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Netonix
Manager

On Linux it is /var/lib/netonix-manager

LRL
Experienced Member

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Might I suggest you guys think about adding multiple login's as a capability. I try to keep the number of people that know local device passwords to a minimum and would rather they use a mgmt product that auto logs them in and it obviously has some benefits to not everyone using the same login.

Thanks for the directory info.

On that note, can I also make the suggestion to hash, encrypt or something other than storing the local device passwords in clear txt in the /Netonix Manager/storage/deviceinfos file?

I may seem a little paranoid about security here, but we've been burned by a disgruntled employee before.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

dray

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Can we get a voltage column for monitoring DC switches?

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:11 pm

LRL wrote:Might I suggest you guys think about adding multiple login's as a capability.
On that note, can I also make the suggestion to hash, encrypt or something other than storing the local device passwords in clear txt in the /Netonix Manager/storage/deviceinfos file?

I may seem a little paranoid about security here, but we've been burned by a disgruntled employee before.

+1 for usermanager....
I surprised security isn't thougt into the product from start. Cleartext password does no good for anyone....

kakadaudi

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:49 am

LRL wrote:Might I suggest you guys think about adding multiple login's as a capability. I try to keep the number of people that know local device passwords to a minimum and would rather they use a mgmt product that auto logs them in and it obviously has some benefits to not everyone using the same login.

Thanks for the directory info.

Please consider radius aaa for the netonix manager with different group rights(read/write/full or whatever else one wants to define). Hide the clear text radius secret in the device config. Allow for more than 1 local user with different privilege(a write user who cant change usernames/passwords for when remote troubleshooting is not possible)

LRL
Experienced Member

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 pm

kakadaudi wrote:
Please consider radius aaa for the netonix manager with different group rights(read/write/full or whatever else one wants to define). Hide the clear text radius secret in the device config. Allow for more than 1 local user with different privilege(a write user who cant change usernames/passwords for when remote troubleshooting is not possible)

RADIUS is great for online access, but when the site is offline, local is required. Hence Cisco's method of local with privilege levels. The manager software does not support RADIUS, or at least I can't find where it does or that would be an easy solution.
-LRL

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion