In regards to What is low or high priority.

ASDN

Re: In regards to What is low or high priority.

Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 am

But Sirch, this is exactly the problem. The message DOES NOT clearly say what is the HIGHEST or LOWEST priority. It ONLY says that the LOWEST priority gets shut down first!
And as I and others too have stated here on forum, I would logically expect the value: 1 to be HIGHEST priority(Pri nr 1), but this is not the case here!
So the sign you are refering to is actuelly the origin of the confusion!!!

It would be better if it said something like: "Will shut down the port with lowest NUMERICAL VALUE first" or something like that.
Or f.ex. simply stating that the priority scale: Higher number=Higher priority Lower number=LOWER Priority, and therefore gets shut down first.

Maybe the easiest way to illustrate it would be to write up a scale like: Lowest- 1.2.3.4.5.6 etc. -Highest :hurray:

The whole question arises from the fact that anyone understands that the LOWEST priority gets shut down first, but it isnt clear what is considered the lowest priority here, so to be able to set the priorities we need to know WHAT IS CONSIDERED the LOWEST Priority for this spesific tool!

I hope I make myself understandable here, so it doesnt just look like a bunch of gibberich! :lol:

Cheers

sirhc wrote:I argued to have Priority the other way around but come on guys it is right there on the screen? :headb:

The only way I can think of to make it more clear would be to hire little people to hide in the boxes and pop out and read it to you. :crazy:

Yes a manual would be nice but if most people refuse to even read what is on the UI right in front of you how many people would read the manual? We have opted to spend more time to lay out the interface as simple as possible and provide Balloons, Pop-Ups and in this case a BIG sign explaining the value.

I received two PMs today asking me where to download firmware???? There is a single sheet of paper laying on top of every switch telling you not only that you should upgrade your firmware before using the switch but it tells people where to get said firmware? :ak:

I guess we can look into Audio Messages that play through the speakers on each Tab and on key mouse overs? :rofl4:

Too bad Majel Barrett-Roddenberry is dead, that would be so cool to have her voice talk to you from the UI.
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Star_Trek_Computer_voice

CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO VIEW FULL SIZE
power tab.png

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon May 16, 2016 9:43 am

Understood.

Will add to end of sentence: "The higher the number the higher the priority, lower numbers get turned off first."

Will that do?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ASDN

Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 am

Perfect! :)

mark

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 am

What is the box that can be ticked on the left in the power tab for

sakita
Experienced Member

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:41 pm

If you notice when you check it that an extra row of [Shutdown Time] [Startup Time] and [Boot Start Delay] boxes appear in the GUI... whatever values you put into these boxes are copied to rows that have the checkbox checked. So, it is a simple way to enter values into multiple rows without having to enter each one individually.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

Previous
Return to General Discussion