WS-6-MINI power supply suggestions?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

WS-6-MINI power supply suggestions?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:18 am

Clone of another thread on the WS-12...

Any suggestions for powering the WS-MINI?

I have a number of long power runs, 300-500ft, on 12guage. I lose a few volts under load. A 50V supply would dip below 48V at the end of the runs, 24v to 22-23v.

I currently build a balancer that inputs 4-6 ubiquiti 24v 1a injectors and outputs a single blended ~23.5v 4amp pair, then that is fed down the landscape wire and is around 23v unloaded, ~22v loaded. This is no problem for most devices including the WS-12-250-DC. I lose volts because I'm using schottky diodes and a 1ohm resister to balance off the supplies.

I don't always need 12 ports though, so with the WS-6-MINI, I need a regulated 48-53v input. That really complicates things. I don't have 48v at most sites, especially off solar.

I could do a tycon 1248 solar controller for a solar input, and a 18-57v PoE input with a 48v regulated output for the WS and 12v battery bank. The 12v battery bank is ideal here because sometimes we need to charge and power the site off a generator and a 12v array is a perfect match. anything higher means going AC off the generator which halves the runtime of the generator. I'd prefer to go higher on the batteries but practicality wins out over efficiency.

anyone got any clever ideas? this is a common micro-pop setup and I'm wanting to replace toughswitches immediately. It's a lot of extra dough to buy a WS-12-250-DC unit for 4 ports. I already need some solar controller and tycon has been good for us.

Return to General Discussion