Cambium ePMP power

cwachs
Experienced Member

Cambium ePMP power

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Looking to power a Cambium ePMP 1000 with GPS sync. I am told it will work fine with "normal" 48v POE. So, has anyone done it with a Netonix and if so, what specific amp setting for 48v did you use?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Cambium ePMP power

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Yes you can power the Cambium ePMP 1000 with GPS sync
with our WISP switch with the standard 48V option, many are already.

However if using v1.3.5, v1.36, or v1.3.7rc7 firmware on the switch you need to turn POE SMart off on the port powering the radio.

We plan to correct this on the v1.3.7 FINAL release due out this weekend.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:27 pm

If you disable POE Smart on a port be sure to "always" run cable diagnostics FIRST on new cables to make sure there are no "cross" shorts.

Cross shorts will blow the port in the switch and that is not covered under warranty.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

cwachs
Experienced Member

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Good to know. Don't have the Cambium yet but will follow those instructions.

Currently battling a problem where out of the box, port 2 is dead. If I run a port detail, all is "0". If I run a cable diagnostics with no cable attached to it, I get "Pair 4 Status (Pins 7,8) (Neg) (Brown) Short"

That seems bad? All the other ports test out normal.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:55 pm

We test each port to achieve a 1G connection twice before it leaves our plant, once automatically and once manually before they ship.

What you are describing is a blown Ethernet transformer which normally indicates the port took a surge possibly from a ground potential shift, had an incorrect POE option selected such as 24VH for a 24V device which will fry the device and the port, or a shorted cable was plugged in.

It is possible that something else failed but if it is a blow Ethernet transformer which is what it sounds like are the only way they fail. Ethernet transformers have no moving parts and are magnetically coupled and the only way they fail is to exceed their rated current.

You can request an RMA by sending me an email to chris@netonix.com. If it failed we repair it free and pay the return shipping. If it is determined it was damaged we will repair it for a reasonable fee plus return shipping.

ringnebula

Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:48 am

We had an aggravating experience this afternoon with a 6 port wisp switch and a mix of radios related to PoE Smart.

Cambium ePMP GPS radios can be powered also with the standard 24v option if the cables aren't long. We had two of those that powered up without issue on first crimp. Same with the UBNT unifi camera at the site. The two UBNT AC PtMP radios though - many cable ends later we got one of them to power up as-is. The other we gave up on, it was only after I got home and read about the mimosa gear and having to turn off PS that it gave me a hint. We tested every cable and also verified the problem radios with my site survey battery gear as working fine outside of the wisp switch.

I used the RF Armor/Netonix Shielded ends on all of the cables as I usually do. I've used almost 1000 of them without issue, but re-crimped 2 cables six times each today with varying results each time.

After turning off PS on the problem port the remaining AC radio came up fine and linked at 1Gbps. Had I read this thread before we headed up the hill it would have save the last few hours of the day.

I'm not sure how the PoE Smart function works, but if you want an example of when it doesn't work I can set you up with remote access for the next few days until I need to cut the site over for good.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:17 am

ringnebula wrote:We had an aggravating experience this afternoon with a 6 port wisp switch and a mix of radios related to PoE Smart.

Cambium ePMP GPS radios can be powered also with the standard 24v option if the cables aren't long. We had two of those that powered up without issue on first crimp. Same with the UBNT unifi camera at the site. The two UBNT AC PtMP radios though - many cable ends later we got one of them to power up as-is. The other we gave up on, it was only after I got home and read about the mimosa gear and having to turn off PS that it gave me a hint. We tested every cable and also verified the problem radios with my site survey battery gear as working fine outside of the wisp switch.

I used the RF Armor/Netonix Shielded ends on all of the cables as I usually do. I've used almost 1000 of them without issue, but re-crimped 2 cables six times each today with varying results each time.

After turning off PS on the problem port the remaining AC radio came up fine and linked at 1Gbps. Had I read this thread before we headed up the hill it would have save the last few hours of the day.

I'm not sure how the PoE Smart function works, but if you want an example of when it doesn't work I can set you up with remote access for the next few days until I need to cut the site over for good.

Sorry for your aggravation, we are discussing POE Smart and how to best handle MIMOSA radios yet also protect users from mistakes.

cwachs
Experienced Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Are you saying that on longer cable runs, Ubiquiti AC PtMP gear needs to be powered by using 24VH setting, not 24V? The UBNT power supply is only a couple tenths of an amp... I need to power a handful off a wisp switch so I hope 24V will work... My cable runs are around 100' on Ubiquiti branded carrier cable. That should be short enough?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:30 pm

cwachs wrote:Are you saying that on longer cable runs, Ubiquiti AC PtMP gear needs to be powered by using 24VH setting, not 24V? The UBNT power supply is only a couple tenths of an amp... I need to power a handful off a wisp switch so I hope 24V will work... My cable runs are around 100' on Ubiquiti branded carrier cable. That should be short enough?

NO! - WHERE DID I EVER SAY THAT OR ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE TO THAT????

All airMAX and legacy UBNT radios use standard 24V (power on 2 pair) except Titanium Rockets and they use standard 48V (power on 2 pair)

There is only one radio on the market that uses 24VH (power on all 4 pair) and that is the airFIBER X radios.

You can power an airFIBER X with normal 24V (power on 2 pair) with our switch on cable lengths less than 160 feet.

Using 24VH on a radio that is not designed to accept power on all 4 pair can fry the radio and the switch port.
And damaging your switch this way is NOT covered under warranty plus you will fry the radio.

READ THIS POST
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1178

cwachs
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:59 am

It's entirely possible I am going senile... I read the post about Cambium power but was staring at the pile of Ubiliqiti gear on the desk and the mind made the other connection. You didn't say anything close to that!

Next
Return to General Discussion