SFP+

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: SFP+

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:29 pm

VanDynck wrote:Any news about this? We need Wisp Switch with SFP+ ports (at least two ports). Regards.

Designing, building, testing, software development is not something you do in a month.

We are hoping to have SFP+ models by end of year.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jowang

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:54 am

It seems that WISP switches with SFP+ ports will be released at the end of the year, but not sure yet. You can have a look at the mikrotik cloud smart switches, ubnt unifi switches.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:56 pm

jowang wrote:It seems that WISP switches with SFP+ ports will be released at the end of the year, but not sure yet. You can have a look at the mikrotik cloud smart switches, ubnt unifi switches.

Both won't power a VH device. Cloud Core Switch have so much option but are a pain in the ... to configure. Unifi switch are not temperature extended. If HV and SFP+ is really needed, the only choice for now would probably be the EdgePoint S16. If no HV is needed, that 802.3at is enough and that SFP+ is needed, I would try the Ignitenet instead of Tik or Ubnt.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:03 pm

sirhc wrote:Designing, building, testing, software development is not something you do in a month.

We are hoping to have SFP+ models by end of year.

Definitely looking forward to this when they are available, especially as residential in-house traffic continues to grow.
Hell it's only $16 for SFP+ modules from FS.com now - and you may as well run OM4 if you do anything. My non-WISP perpective...

Put this in my lab / testbed as a stopgap core upgrade. Six more fibres go in next week and the LAGs work perfectly to the WS-12s.
Makes me realize how spoilt I am with Netonix after configuring that thing....

ES-12F.JPG
mascot with ES-12F

sakita
Experienced Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Agreed on that... we have several Edgeswitches including some of the XG models running some our our backroom. Pretty cool and work well - but much harder brain workout to program them. 10G speeds with Netonix easy-to-program will be sweet :cheers: .
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm

They are coming
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

petecarlson
Experienced Member

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm

sirhc wrote:We have plans to make a switch with SFP+ but it is more for NOC type applications?

How many people really have a 10G need at towers?

Possibly those that have fiber run to a tower but no wireless backhaul on the market or near market can use this.

We have "limited" resources so for us to build a switch "now" that is SFP+ would greatly reduce our ability to produce our current models.

Lots of us in urban markets are starting to use products like Siklu 5500FD. Its only a five Gig FD radio but it has a SFP+ interface. Don't need it yet as anywhere we are moving that much bandwidth it is going through a Juniper MX but a year or two down the road I see a need for this and have been building it into a lot of our specs so we don't need to forklift down the road.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:17 pm

sirhc wrote:We have plans to make a switch with SFP+ but it is more for NOC type applications?

How many people really have a 10G need at towers?

Possibly those that have fiber run to a tower but no wireless backhaul on the market or near market can use this.

We have "limited" resources so for us to build a switch "now" that is SFP+ would greatly reduce our ability to produce our current models.

I will soon be feeding 2 Gbps into a tower via fiber. It's provided to me on a 10 Gbps port. The router will be the new EdgeRouter Infinity. Now I only need a switch that can power 2 x AF24 and 2 x AF5, and several IgniteNet 60 GHz 1 Gbps links and does have a 10 Gbps port....

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 am

jjonsson wrote:I will soon be feeding 2 Gbps into a tower via fiber. It's provided to me on a 10 Gbps port. The router will be the new EdgeRouter Infinity. Now I only need a switch that can power 2 x AF24 and 2 x AF5, and several IgniteNet 60 GHz 1 Gbps links and does have a 10 Gbps port....

Next to the router, you can add a switch with 10G upling and use LAG over 2 fibers to the Netonix. Anyway, netonix 10G would cost more so, if you feed several tower with a single 10G headswitch, it would probably cost less. The're several model available for around 500$ like Ubnt and Ingnitenet.

Brough

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 am

Looking forward to SFP+ (by the end of the year?).

We're an urban WISP with a backbone that's a dense mesh of 1 Gbps links (84 AF24 links & 10 Ignitenet links so far). We've started upgrading some links with Siklu and we've alsostarted installing the new 2.5 Gbps Ignitenet Metrolinq radios. So far, it's two 1 Gbps Ethernets per radio but that will run out of gas (and out of ports) as the link capacity goes up. I can foresee needing two SFP+ ports at each backbone relay site.

Is there any info on what you are designing for release later this year? Does it have two SPF+ ports?

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion