Human readable config file?

abjornson

Human readable config file?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi,

I just purchased my first Netonix switch - been hearing about you guys for quite a while. Love it so far, really well designed.

My only major complaint so far is that the config is not text / human readable...it seems to be hex. This is a major downside for me because it seems to make it impossible to automate the generation of config files with scripts or other tools.

Any plans to consider a human readable configuration file?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Human readable config file?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Search the forums, this topic has been discussed several times.

The file it backs up is an archive file "rar". The actual config file is human readable but if you mess it up (formatting) you can hose the switch.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

abjornson

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks for the super fast reply, and glad to hear there's a way forward for me!

Ah ok, very sorry for not finding that the topic had been discussed before! (I just searched rar and json and found only the "TFTP Usage" thread...is there a better thread to look at?)

If I read that thread it sounds like the downloaded .ncfg (rar) file contains JSON config plus other stuff.

If I wanted to created my own JSON - it sounds like the recommendation is to scp the json onto the switch and reboot (rather than trying to recreate the .rar package that the UI expects) Sound right?

thanks again!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:25 pm

I believe so, I sent Eric a Skype but he is off line, I am sure he will chime in here later (by tomorrow).
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:40 pm

abjornson wrote:Thanks for the super fast reply, and glad to hear there's a way forward for me!

Ah ok, very sorry for not finding that the topic had been discussed before! (I just searched rar and json and found only the "TFTP Usage" thread...is there a better thread to look at?)

If I read that thread it sounds like the downloaded .ncfg (rar) file contains JSON config plus other stuff.

If I wanted to created my own JSON - it sounds like the recommendation is to scp the json onto the switch and reboot (rather than trying to recreate the .rar package that the UI expects) Sound right?

thanks again!

Chris was incorrect, its actually a "tar" file. If you rename the ncfg file to .tar then you can open it with just about any archive program (7zip, etc).

But yes, if you want to automate the configuration just scp'ing the new file to the switch and rebooting is the easiest way.

suge

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:56 pm

I'm not able to extract these files by changing the ncfg to .tar, .rar, .gz, .tgz, or .tar.gz

Anything change on this? how can I view these files. I need to see if a vlan is setup properly before I just go and reset the switch.

Return to General Discussion