Brand New WS-26-500-DC - Will not reset or talk

54lariat

Brand New WS-26-500-DC - Will not reset or talk

Fri May 22, 2020 1:58 pm

New switch on the bench, I am in the process of configuring it and as I was working in the VLANs tab I tagged the port I was plugged into and saved before I realized what I had done. At this point I am still using the default address to access the switch.

No big deal, wait for the time out and it will go back to previous settings.

Good time for a bathroom break :mrgreen:
However, I return and I cannot log in, no pings to 192.168.1.20 no nothing. Strange, so this is not in production and I just started to make changes so I just started with a reboot first. Paperclip, Green ring and release.

No dice after the reboot. Now I just decide to reset completely. Paperclip, Green ring, Red ring and release. Wait a few minutes, fans make the normal noise but still nothing. No ping response and it just sits on the bench and fans ramp up and down like normal every so often.

Switch had been powered on for about a week on the bench and no issues.

What is going on here? Should I try to REFORMAT factory reset option?

This was to replace a WS-12-250-DC that has worked fine for a couple years but I just need more ports so I was just building the config to match. Hopefully this is a quick fix since I was planning on swapping in a week or two.

Running FW 1.5.5

Thanks

-Tristan

54lariat

Re: Brand New WS-26-500-DC - Will not reset or talk

Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Several resets did not work, so I tried the method to reformat and reset. I let it sit 15 minutes each time, on the second try it finally came back to life.

I started to make small changes and save the config and I made 2 saves and all seemed well.

Then I went to rename the ports, I applied the change and this is what I received.

Is this worthy of an RMA/Replacement. Unit was built in December of 2019 and has made it as far as my bench.
Attachments
Netonix 24 Port Config error 5.22.20.JPG

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 pm

The first issue probably occurred because when you where working on the VLAN tab you changed it so that the port you where plugged into was no longer on the management VLAN. That would prevent all access, for the second, try defaulting the switch.
Utilities->Default

Or in the console via an RS232 cable:
Code: Select all
reload defaults

Then try applying your port name changes again.

54lariat

Sat May 23, 2020 10:23 am

Stephen wrote:The first issue probably occurred because when you where working on the VLAN tab you changed it so that the port you where plugged into was no longer on the management VLAN. That would prevent all access, for the second, try defaulting the switch.

Just curious why the Revert Timer failed after applying the settings, coupled with the fact it took a couple hours to get a successful reset. It just seems "strange"

It seems to be running ok now and I made my changes but its just a little concerning as to what could have caused all the issues from the start.

Thanks

Return to General Discussion