Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 am

Attached:

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.20.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.21.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.21.30 PM.png

smartmoney

Re: Constant "set port forwarding / learning / discarding"

Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:04 pm

I have been getting this issue as well .Just cropped up recently. I was having troubles at this tower for a few weeks and just ran across the same thing in my logs as well

Here is what i have tried
Placed radio from port 1 to port 5, same result, just moved ports.
I am using a UBNT Surge Protector and i removed it and plugged straight into the switch, same result
Replaced both cable ends, same result,
replaced radio, same result.
What else can i change/check?

smartmoney

Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:23 pm

attached:Image 1 is what i fight/ constant loss of signal. Pinging the 5.8 radio, i get no drops.
Attachments
netonix3.png
netonix2.png
netonix1.png

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Well if you're saying you lose no pings to the radio but to the other side you are losing connectivity too?

Sounds like the wireless link is dropping?

This thread was started with an RSTP issue where the port goes to forwarding/learning/discarding so if you are seeing this in your log and you want to rule out RSTP simply disable it in the switch for now?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

smartmoney

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:51 pm

i'm having the following in my log

Oct 2 17:43:42 STP: set port 1 to forwarding
Oct 2 17:43:42 STP: set port 1 to discarding
Oct 2 17:43:50 STP: set port 1 to learning
Oct 2 17:43:51 STP: set port 1 to forwarding
Oct 2 17:43:56 STP: set port 1 to discarding
Oct 2 17:44:03 STP: set port 1 to learning

I have constant ping to AP and rare drop
Ping to BH radio at tower rare drop
ping to switch (x.x.x.2) - drops all the time,
Ping to router (x.x.x.1) same as switch
BH radio has nothing in the log

So it goes from ap - BH (powered by switch port 1)
Out of switch (x.x.x.2) port 3 to router (x.x.x.1)

If i was to be loosing the wireless link, whouldn't i see it at the BH radio? i never loose ping there only at the switch/router

When i disble (uncheck enable) on RSTP i have now lost the switch (mind you i have never fiddled with this tab AT ALL!
Attachments
netonix5.png
netonix4.png

smartmoney

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:14 pm

i obviously have something set wrong, i dont mess around in there at all since i set this up
Attachments
netonix8.png
netonix6.png
netonix7.png

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:52 pm

That Error message is "not" RSTP it is Loop Protection

Here is a link to a search for (click on magnifying glass in search box):
Search for keywords: +
Loop +Protection
Author: sirhc

search.php?keywords=%2Bloop+%2Bprotection&terms=all&author=sirhc&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Read down thorough the posts in the link above to learn more

You can disable Loop Protection on the Device/Configuration Tab but something in the direction of port 1 is leaking BPDU packets, I would find out what.

A BPDU packet is leaving port 1 and finding its way back to port 1 - IT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN UNLESS THERE IS A LEAK OR A LOOP SOMEWHERE OUT BEYOND PORT 1
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

smartmoney

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:59 pm

OK to start over, i have has this switch running without error since Jan 1 Nothing has changed in the system since that day
*upgraded the firmware last month to 1.4.3 something i believe.
*Tower started to not run correctly, customers complaining of "loss of internet"
*upon checking the radio and connections, i could not find much wrong but i became more aware of what was going on and watching closer.
*I started to notice that the tower "dropped" but not dropping signal. So i started to ping devices and see where the problem was.
*noticed that the ping drop was at the switch and not the BH radio. Figured something amiss there.
*Upgraded to current 1.4.4 - no change
*searched the forum to find this thread with the same symptom i was having.
STP: set port 1 to discarding
STP: set port 1 to learning
STP: set port 1 to forwarding
*you stated to
When you have an issue PLEASE always upgrade to "latest" code which is currently v1.4.3rc7 and see if issue still exists
so i did just that to the 1.4.5rc2
*farther down you stated
Possible causes:

End is not seated properly in jack or there is corrosion or dust in jack - Test by inspecting and re-seating RJ45 connector
Bad End - Test by replacing ends, end may have a poor connection
Cable is bad - Test by replacing cable, cable may have a break in it and when it moved a wire is disconnected
Radio is bad - Test by swapping radio
Ethernet port in switch is bad - Test by moving cable to another port but if that fixes it that may only mean the RJ45 jack you moved was not seated properly so re-test that port with another attempt by moving the cable back and inspect the socket for corrosion and or dirt.
Radio is rebooting, check the up time. However is the wire that is broken in pair 1 or 2 then the radio would not be rebooting.

So i went back replaced equipment, wire, ends, etc - still same issue
* posted my problem -
RSTP simply disable it in the switch for now?

* went to switch and unchecked the "Enable " button at the top shown in the screen grab, and then the "loop" error appeared.
*went back out to tower and removed switch and problem stopped. (now POE brick powers the BH radio and that goes to DHCP client in router and POE brick powers WS-6 and that goes to DHCP server on the router)

Now why the loopback? i'm sure some setting is not correct in the switch (why i submitted the screengrabs) but i never fiddled with it, what has changed? was something added in a firmware upgrade that changed something?

brock

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:55 pm

We recently fried a WS-12-DC by reversing polarity when upgrading power supplies at the base of the tower. Whoops.

We didn't have a spare, so in its place we temporarily put a DC-converted UBNT toughswitch 8-port that had been on another tower (and was on the shelf because it had been replaced with a WS-12-DC).

To clarify it goes: edge --- tower 1 (toughswitch) --- tower 2 (wisp switch) --- tower 3 (wisp switch) ...

Until this switch was fried it was wisp switches on all three.

We started seeing intermittent drops to the second tower (2) in the chain (past the swapped-in toughswitch), and checked all the hardware that could be involved. We found these "STP: forwarding / learning / discarding" messages on the backhaul ports both in (tower 1 link) and out (tower 3 link) of the second tower tower's wisp switch.

It's only been an hour, but so far disabling flow control on all ports on the toughswitch (tower 1) seems to have gotten rid of the problem. Can't wait to get a new wisp switch in there, it's already in UPS' hands. And we ordered a spare. Normally we try to keep at least one of everything but finances have been tight with all the backhaul / switch upgrades we've been doing, and I hadn't ordered more yet.

What's really interesting is that this same toughswitch used to be on tower 2, and when we first tried to fire up the link between towers 1 and 2, most of the ports on the tower 1 WISP switch would shut down as soon as the the backhaul linked up.

There's something really not great happening between toughswitches and wisp switches. Of course this can be solved by eliminating all toughswitches, which we are close to doing. I'd be curious to know what is actually causing the problem though.

brock

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Nope, problem has returned, although not as bad yet.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion