Found a site with old Tough Cable

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
mayheart
Experienced Member

Found a site with old Tough Cable

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:08 pm

PoE injector caught fire from water coming in via the cracked cable. Was one of the sites we forgot that we installed that bad batch of Tough Cable at.

Image 1
Image 2

Nasty! Good thing this is the last site that we have running this.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Found a site with old Tough Cable

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:20 pm

WOW - That is crazy scary!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:58 pm

I wonder, if you guys have an option on towers and outdoor locations with POE power going outdoor to radios, wouldn't you bring the cable in and terminate it at a jack and then pop the jack into a keystone rack bracket (or wall-plate in a house) , finally use a jumper cable to connect between the jack and the switch or POE?

Indeed, original TCable was one the great plagues. But pecking crows and chewing squirrels also make holes in good cable, and to me, that last jumper has acted as the best defense against the horror stories of damage caused by water coming down the cable.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:02 pm

We do terminate at patch panels at towers but at residential and small commercial installs it goes straight into the adapter
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WHT

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:53 am

Cut a slit in the cable at bottom of drip loop. You need to open it up anyway to attach a saddle clamp for cable's ground sheath.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:03 am

Hey buddy, glad to hear from you! :cheers:

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:11 pm

I've had been considering a move to a wall plate or biscuit box as standard for the installs. The catch is that you need to terminate the drain cable to ground.

If you use a shielded/grounded keystone, you also need to build the patch cable from the keystone to the injector with jacketed ends and cable w/ a drain. If the customer swaps that cable, your radio has no ESD protection.

Alternatively, open an electrical wallplate to see which side the stud is on, then put in a remodel cut it on the open side and run the ESD over to the electrical ground (with a jumper wire that has a sheath!). Its more work, and gray area on code here.

Ultimately, I'm prototyping a snap-on cover for the injector that will provide space to coil up extra feeder line below the injector (injector wall mounted above the feeder line). This will also allow for 'bare' pairs to be terminated, in other words not putting the sheathing into the end, instead leaving a few inches exposed. This makes it more flexable for one, but also means that any water running down the inside of the feeder line will leak out below the RJ45 end and the injector.

wisphopefull

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:59 am

Wow that's scary indeed.
Is that circuit not on an RCD?

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:01 pm

I have just fried a Netonix WS-8-250-AC switch because of water entering through all cable. Strange part is that is was all cables (8 cables). I have dismounted cable and the other was end was not rusty, so it wasn't from the radios the water came into the cable...

I can't see any scratch or whatever on the cable. It's TOUGHcable Carrier and I expect it's from a faulty batch, but not old....

I have the cable drum with more cable on. I will cut some of the drum and put into water to test.

Will post pictures here soon....

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Sometimes plastic ties rub a hole in the cables?

Other than that I hate to think of the alternative which is defective cable PE Jacket?

What type of radios, maybe water came in radio chassis and into cable at the top, did you inspect the other ends of the cable for corrosion maybe in the radios?

I am grasping at straw here - LOL

Return to The Lounge