Shield kits ...

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
JustJoe
Experienced Member

Shield kits ...

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Just possibly some interesting reading when you need to take a break between reading and answering Emails...

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Gen ... 729#M51240

Dave
Employee
Employee

Re: Shield kits ...

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm

ya gotta like your comments..tell it like it is....

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Dave wrote:ya gotta like your comments..tell it like it is....

So you didn't think "Ubiquiti fan girl" was too over the top? :Banned:

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Maybe a little. I can take being called a fanboy but fan girl might be taking it too far.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:08 pm

lligetfa wrote:Maybe a little. I can take being called a fanboy but fan girl might be taking it too far.

:rofl4:

You know, it's just that several months ago I posted:

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/Upcoming-P ... 924#M12755

and Jim had to go on and on, seeming to give excuses why they didn't need to acknowledge Chris's contribution of the shield drums + boxes.

Then getting into theory about the ISO beam wrinkled edge stopping the wrap-around RF. Why is it when it comes to Ubiquiti, he seems to do selective "independent" testing? Why didn't he at least in a lab compare ISO beam with RFArmor drum+box on an identical radio+dish with a noise source aimed coming in at, oh say 135° from the desired signal path, and instead just showed pretty pictures to support the theory?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Jim is firmly in the ubnt camp as I think we all know. That's not an issue for me, so when you guys are arguing in the grey area it's safe to assume Jim will side with ubnt.

Fact is, RFArmor isn't anything fancy or special, it's just shielding which has been around for ages. Ubnt just took their sweet time acknowledging that their radios and antennas were VERY leaky. I doubt Chris would have even made any RFArmor products had ubiquiti just acknowledged the situation and offered shielding in their antenna case. Then the politics come into play that RFArmor is suddenly a competitor on a couple items and ubnt handled it poorly.

The real issue I had/have with the whole thing is a) Chris being banned from the forums in some childish exercise of 'power' and b) ubiquiti's marketing claiming 'breakthrough' performance and other exaggerations when their new, extremely late to market items are very marginally better performance on the dish kit. It's like claiming that a 5% improvement in RF Isolation is "BREAKTHROUGH" :/

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:29 pm

JustJoe wrote:
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/Upcoming-P ... 924#M12755

and Jim had to go on and on, seeming to give excuses why they didn't need to acknowledge Chris's contribution of the shield drums + boxes.

Then getting into theory about the ISO beam wrinkled edge stopping the wrap-around RF. Why is it when it comes to Ubiquiti, he seems to do selective "independent" testing? Why didn't he at least in a lab compare ISO beam with RFArmor drum+box on an identical radio+dish with a noise source aimed coming in at, oh say 135° from the desired signal path, and instead just showed pretty pictures to support the theory?

I wish I could post this over there but they keep banning any accounts I create.
ImageBotaDriver wrote:I must have missed RFarmors shielding chokes!?! I've looked through the site many times and the only thing that impressed me was the high prices--and people paying them. Grab you one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html and you too can start copying decades old designs. If you want to save some time just draft up the design in autocad; it'd take you all of 10 minutes to do, and start contacting shops with waterjets to cut you stacks of blanks and just bend them on the press brake.

Did you happen to see what the choke on the iso was made out of....certaily not metal. Giving RFarmor credit for the isobeam would be like Tesla giving ClubCar credit for the model S.

BTW, Baltic Networks offers sector shields for 49.99 and were giving them away for free with the purchase of UBNT sectors. They sell them under their Maxxwave brand of gear.

The Baltic CHEAP KNOCK OFF is a joke! Look at the edges of their Rocket cover boxes, and other seams, they are all OPEN seams which bleeds RF like crazy.

All of RF Armor kits have "folded" corners which act as an RF Choke in a fashion assuming that each time an RF Signal has to bounce it converts some RF Energy into heat and is RF loss. When you put Baltic Rocket cover boxes on there are "slits" you can slide several sheet of paper through. - LEAKAGE

As far as history goes.
In 2009 I attempted to get UBNT to make shield kits but they thought the answer was GPS Sync so I decided to post the idea and pictures of my kits on the Forums for people to build their own and people immediately asked me to build them so RF Armor was born.

In the beginning the shield kits were clunky, heavy and even used welding and I made less than 10% profit on them but I whittled away in my garage with my whole family 7 days a week sometime practically all night to keep up with demand.

Over the years I spent a lot of money redesigning the kits and making them better and lighter and my profit margins grew.

I preached that GPS sync does not help at all against hostile noise and GPS when implemented onto a radio that was never really designed for outdoor applications but rather indoor applications would result in 20 to 25% performance lose and injects latency. Now this does not include the stuff the airFIBER teams make which was not designed off of radios designed for wifi applications.

I fought an uphill battle trying to get people to see the advantages of shielding because UBNT would not openly or officially endorse my products but did tolerate me on their forums.

I "refused" to make kits for other manufacturers because of my respect, friendship, and admiration for Robert, Ben, Matt, and others at UBNT.

I extended a 15% Discount on all RF Armor products to UBNT Super users for RF Armor as a reward for their hours and hours and efforts in helping the community. Some super users have saved THOUSANDS of dollars over the past 5 years from this discount.

UBNT announces the Titanium line and I was prepared to bow out but took a hard look at the Titanium line and spent hours and hours trying explain to people that the Titanium M2 line did NOT provide proper shielding at all and the M5 series was marginally better than the legacy stuff but not nearly as effective as the Legacy stuff with RF Armor. I also warned people about the potential of a thermal issue with the Titanium M5 Rocket which would cause HIGH failures. (You can still find my posts on their forum warning people like magician over and over again to stay away from Titanium line).

I was not happy about the AF5 because I felt it could be dangerous in the hands of private enterprise with the ability to chew up 100 MHz of spectrum at a time and if this was in the UNII-III band a WISP could find himself in a bad spot not being able to get away from it. I did claim doom and gloom that has not yet happened but I say that is because the number of AF5 units that sold were far less than I thought would sell. *I am so glad of this*

I Love the AF5X because it is a half duplex radio that will easily take the place of existing airMAX links and provides far better performance and that it is LIMITED to 50 MHz which means a WISP can get away from a link more easily as it can not chew up the entire spectrum in one link at 50 MHz.

Fast forward to 2015 and UBNT has all but abandoned GPS Sync on the airMAX line in favor of shielding....who would have thunk!

I try my best to help people, so say what you want about me and RF Armor but I hardly say my Armor was over priced considering it was made in the USA and in relatively small numbers.

UBNT 620mm ISOBeam $79.95 MSRP
RF Armor 500 mm NanoBeam kit $54.95 MSRP <== CHEAPER
SOON TO RELEASE A 620mm we will see which costs less!

UBNT AC DISH $339 MSRP
UBNT LEGACY DISH $149 MSRP + RF Armor Dish Kit $180 MSRP = $329 MSRP <== CHEAPER

UBNT Titanium Sector $229 MSRP
UBNT Legacy Sector $79 MSRP + RF Armor Shield Kit $100 MSRP = $179 MSRP <=== CHEAPER

So how is RF Armor over priced?

And yes Baltic "JUNK" cost $50 but can someone post a picture of a Baltic Kit beside an RF Armor Kit, look closely at the quality then tell me they are even in the same league!

And yes I find it funny that Jim will go out of his way to push people away from RF Armor and or Netonix, I have no idea what I ever did to Jim but he definitely does not like or endorse my products.

How can people say that RF Armor was ineffective but then those "same" *cough - Jim * people say how effective a UBNT shield is?

I do not get it, I like Jim, I have a lot of respect for Jim and his knowledge but since he has become a UBNT Super User all his post sound so PRO UBNT that you have to wonder if he reports the whole story anymore. Jim "used" to give very bias tests and results and pointed out UBNT shortcomings same as me but also praised their GOOD points same as me. - JUST SAYING!
[/quote]
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:00 pm

:agree:

NOW ... Chris, did you ever answer my unrelated Email?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 pm

JustJoe wrote::agree:

Dude I am so sorry, I am so far behind and shit gets lost, if it is important call me, if not just super important keep emailing me until I answer you!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:42 pm

sirhc wrote:
JustJoe wrote::agree:

Dude I am so sorry, I am so far behind and shit gets lost, if it is important call me, if not just super important keep emailing me until I answer you!

arggggg :headb: .... my phone plan is a bit screwed up ... But I have a GREAT sales lead for you for Netonix boxes .... I just Emailed you my phone #

Next
Return to The Lounge