switch power usage and total power consumption

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
whyfly

switch power usage and total power consumption

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 pm

I know I can see how much wattage that each port is using. And I see the total wattage used by the ports in the WEBGUI, but how much wattage does the switch itself use?

We have a WS-26-400-AC and it shows the ports using 50 watts but we're seeing WAY more power consumption than that as indicated by the runtime left on our UPS and by doing the math Volts x Amps. We're seeing 210 watts total being used by the Netonix. Why doesn't the Netonix show me total power used. That would be more useful at a remote powered site heh?

Does anyone know how much wattage the switch uses all by itself, without POE enabled on any ports? ( I know it depends on the model # but I'd really like to know what it is for each model # including our WS-26-400-AC. thanks

Dave
Employee
Employee

Re: switch power usage and total power consumption

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:18 pm

for the DC units, the power displayed in GUI is the total, including the switch overhead and the internal dc-dc- power loss...however for the AC units, the total does not include the the AC power supply's loss...however the AC supply's have efficiency's greater than 85%, or 90% depending on the supply's.

their is no way a normally working AC switch says 50 watts power usage in GUI, but uses 210 watts...

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: switch power usage and total power consumption

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:46 pm

You might want to get a 3rd opinion with a Kill A Watt meter. Some UPS models are not very accurate with their readings and if not calibrated and/or your batteries are due for replacement, the runtime estimate could be way off.

Return to The Lounge