To fiber or not to fber

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: To fiber or not to fber

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:01 pm

lligetfa wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:PON is kind of a curious thing right now...

I think PON/EPON/GPON versus AON/SFPs will rage on for a while much like the Betamax versus VHS debate of decades ago. It may come down to cost versus technical superiority for some or available kit for others.

http://electronicdesign.com/what-s-diff ... r-networks
:popc:

I'm not sure it's such a similar comparison. 'A'ON fiber networks are 'better'. They will be faster for quite some time for pure speed and for faster protocols vs shared media like PON. An SFP+ port is faster than all but the highest end EPON networks, and 'standard' fiber can multiplex and push 100Gbps for a few thousand bucks.

PON is most interesting to me because of what the passive components allow. No need to worry about getting power at splicepoints specifically. A completely passive, unpowered optical splitter can go on a pole, or even suspended on the line if you can't make secondary attachments, can go in a ped on the ground, etc.

So, I think the logistics of PON will make sure it sticks around for a long time and is enhanced, just because it allows for bypassing so many politics on right of ways and leases, power connections etc.

iggy05

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:53 pm

We are starting to do FTTH now. I like idea of PON and in general the cost but for future proofing reason I think you are way better off with AE as there is a lot of limiting factors to speed in PON so we do strictly AE. The majority of our customers are business right now but we have started to build out FTTH last year and have two more projects we are doing this year. The equipment we run is Calix and it is on the expensive side but it is extremely rock solid.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:17 pm

iggy05 wrote:We are starting to do FTTH now. I like idea of PON and in general the cost but for future proofing reason I think you are way better off with AE as there is a lot of limiting factors to speed in PON so we do strictly AE. The majority of our customers are business right now but we have started to build out FTTH last year and have two more projects we are doing this year. The equipment we run is Calix and it is on the expensive side but it is extremely rock solid.

how are you handling splits or are you doing home runs?

iggy05

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Home runs only. We have two projects this year on doing FTTH. In these cases we are going to put a box in with the gear in the middle of the fiber drops. This way we can have a 96 count fiber that basically can be used in both directions. Two of the lines will go back to be part of a rstp ring.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:34 pm

hope to see pics as the project evolves.

iellison

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Full active networks will require much greater power and better facilities to house the equipment in. If you home run 3000 customers all active, that't a lot of SFP's and switches that need power, and are producing heat. Technologically, its apples and oranges. GPON card is still 1Gb per port shared, versus 1Gb per port dedicated. I think a combination of the two would be the smartest play. GPON just makes sense for residential style deployments. We're currently working with Dasan Networks for our GPON, but still in early stages.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:48 pm

iellison wrote:Full active networks will require much greater power and better facilities to house the equipment in. If you home run 3000 customers all active, that't a lot of SFP's and switches that need power, and are producing heat. Technologically, its apples and oranges. GPON card is still 1Gb per port shared, versus 1Gb per port dedicated. I think a combination of the two would be the smartest play. GPON just makes sense for residential style deployments. We're currently working with Dasan Networks for our GPON, but still in early stages.

I doubt you would typically run 3000 home runs, probably have various distribution points (powered obviously).

You're absolutely right though, it's a LOT more powered gear and the backup batteries and power conditioners to support that either in the CO or in switches in the field.

Previous
Return to The Lounge