central IP address distribution, how do you

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Re: central IP address distribution, how do you

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:06 pm

So excessive broadcasts are really only an issue if you make your broadcast domains too large :)

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Or how badly malware infested the clients are.

LRL
Experienced Member

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:24 pm

mhoppes wrote:So excessive broadcasts are really only an issue if you make your broadcast domains too large :)

Very true. I have to say RSTP makes very fast reconvergence easy for almost anyone. TRILL looks very promising.

My biggest issue with bridged, is a single radio problem on the backbone can cause STP flops impacting the entire network. That's not to say you can't have some of the same issues with a routing protocol but it's more likely to only affect the attached segment.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

LRL
Experienced Member

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:31 pm

LRL wrote:I've been playing with DHCP relay more on the AP side. I create a /30 from our tower router to the AP, place the AP in router mode and make it the clients gateway. The AP relays DHCP requests back to the router. So far this appears to be the most efficient way of handling this.

I allocate a public and a private /27 to each ap and if that fills I'll allocate another /29 or /28, but i prefer to keep each ap to >30 customers.

Chris gave me the idea of using the AP in this way. The discussion was about reducing the need for FC and by george I think we have a winner.

I should add because it wasn't clear. We relay DHCP back to our headend routers, what it takes to get it there is another matter. It makes DHCP setup a little more tricky initially, but the single point to look for new clients and abnormalities is well worth it IMO.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

Previous
Return to The Lounge