Licensed Links

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
LRL
Experienced Member

Licensed Links

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:05 pm

I've asked this question several places and I figure I might as well start it here.

What is your personal preference for Licensed Back-haul and why?

I've yet to make up my mind between SAF or Exalt.

I have two links I'm looking at upgrading to licensed. A 9 mile and 5 mile. The difficult part is I need about 300Mbps

Currently I'm running 5G links but my lovely neighboring wisp won't stop adding and switching channels and 5G is becoming difficult and getting more unreliable. Unfortunately the 9 mile is too far for AF24 and the 5 mile is to iffy for me to want to try. Then you've got AF5 which would only compound my already noisy environment.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

josh
Associate
Associate

Re: Licensed Links

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 pm

SAF. Solid financial history with no sign of going out of business... unlike Exalt. Also, good warranty, very solid hardware.

We're running an 11GHz SAF link at ~11 miles, 366Mbps, and it's an older unit (Lumina). Integra is even better.

LRL
Experienced Member

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Did you do the FCC paperwork yourself or sub it out?
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:27 pm

josh wrote:SAF. Solid financial history with no sign of going out of business... unlike Exalt. Also, good warranty, very solid hardware.

We're running an 11GHz SAF link at ~11 miles, 366Mbps, and it's an older unit (Lumina). Integra is even better.

I agree 100% with Josh, absolutely LOVE my SAF links, put them up and FORGET ABOUT THEM!!!!

THey have been the only radios that survived 2 direct tower lightning strikes, took everything else on the tower and in the cabinet out, Cisco EHWICs fused or welded and could not remove. SAF links are still in service in same places to this day!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

josh
Associate
Associate

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 pm

LRL wrote:Did you do the FCC paperwork yourself or sub it out?

Liz Creekmore @ Intelpath
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/liz-creekmore/0/373/51b

wtm
Experienced Member

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 am

Who handles these SAF units, we have been trying to get a quote on them, and have not found anyone to do so?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:45 am

Microcom
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

josh
Associate
Associate

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:02 pm

wtm wrote:Who handles these SAF units, we have been trying to get a quote on them, and have not found anyone to do so?

We went through Double Radius.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Our Exalt G2 links have been very good and sparing is awesome.
So far we have 4, soon to be 5 full production links.
anywhere from 7 to 13 miles 370Mb.
Exalt is getting their act together again as a company. Sort of like Canopy and Cambium. Don't know that it makes them a bad company.

LRL
Experienced Member

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 am

I haven't go quotes back yet for SAF, but so far the Exalt is looking much more attractive.

According the SAF link Calc I need a 6ft dish on one of our hub towers! :yikes:

Unfortunately that's not going to fly, not with a new and much larger frame tower.

Exalt came back with 2 3fts for that link and two 2fts for our other link. Unfortunately the only reason I'm going this way is because we 200Mb now and soon it's going to jump to needing 300Mb. Right now we have 2 5G links to each tower and we're balancing over them. My tests with AC radios hasn't been enough.

I might be able to get by with a AF24 on our 4.6 mile link, but another WISP has a af24 in close proximity(50ft) to our tower and that makes me concerned to even try. AF5 works, but because of noise on the upper 5G band I was forced to the lower and just couldn't more than 150-190Mbps. Although I found out AF5 is a sure fire way to stomp on the competition. :???: It wasn't intentional, but he called me in less than 5 minutes...

The 8.9 mile link is a tough one.
-LRL

Next
Return to The Lounge