Bill vs. Jim - Round 1

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Bill vs. Jim - Round 1

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:27 pm

sirhc wrote:...you do NOT become a Superuser if all you do is complain about their gear...
There seems to be some muddy water between being a SuperUser and being an alpha tester. Su does not automatically get you into any or all alpha programs. I happened to be in the airVision alpha program from where I got on the ES alpha. When I got ousted from the ES alpha it was because of what I said WRT the ES being more enterprise centric than WISP centric. Matt claimed I was in the ES alpha because of my SU status but there were a bunch of us airVision alpha tester that joined the ES alpha at the same time.

Again, one should not confuse the SuperUser group with alpha testers. Sure, some of the same ground rules may apply but that is unfortunate. I would want my alpha testers to be brutally honest and not sycophants. By the time the product is out of alpha, the kinks should have been worked out. The alpha testers should hang their heads in shame if they did not do their job. Of course we will never know who didn't do their utmost best.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Agreed that there is a difference "now" between Alpha Testers and Super Users......today, but not so much in the beginning a few years ago. I guess I am old school Ubiquiti.

Anyway this is getting far more deep then I intended it to be, I was pushing the humor in it not to become a serious conversation or political in anyway, nor pick on Jim just make a little fun of how hard he was trying to turn that spin around which is why I gave him an A+ for effort.

Really, unless Jim has some Mimosa gear, which I do not "think" he does, and could do a side by side comparison with video and screencaps to refute Bill's claim I do not think I would have even attempted what Jim did there. In the humor industry that is what they call a "tough crowd", or trying to not precede or follow Jerry Lee Lewis's act and this is where the whole burning piano on stage came from and Jerry was not the one that lit the piano on fire for Jerry so as to make it so he could NOT play on it (but jerry did of course which is why it is a famous event), it was the performer that was in front of him!!!

BONUS POINTS TO WHO FIRST NAMES THE PERSON THAT LIT THE PIANO ON FIRE TO TRY AND PREVENT JERRY FROM PLAYING AFTER HIM AND CLOSING FOR THE NIGHT!

Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:46 pm

sirhc wrote:Really, unless Jim has some Mimosa gear, which I do not "think" he does, and could do a side by side comparison with video and screencaps to refute Bill's claim...
I have been following Jim's posts on Mimosa gear and he has stated often that he is under NDA with Mimosa. You don't bother to sign an NDA unless you are alpha testing their gear. I too, give Jim the gears about not wanting to talk about Mimosa, claiming that the NDA must surely have been lifted by now, etc.. IMHO Jim shows respect for Ubiquiti by not talking up Mimosa. I can see how you took it is down-playing Mimosa. I doubt Jim will ever post a head-to-head comparison of the two.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:53 pm

No I did not say he was trying to down play Mimosa, but rather to change the effect of Bill's post, or down play the negative light it put on Ubiquiti.

I am not sure if Jim has an NDA with Mimosa or not, are you 100% sure that he does, maybe he does?

But he was definitely trying to mitigate the negative light cast on Ubiquiti from Bill's post (in my opinion).

I mean come on, Bill was not pulling any punches there, and Jim was working hard to put a positive spin on it for Ubiquiti, or maybe it is just me which once again is why I asked you guys your opinion.

I saw what Jim was trying there as Mission Impossible, at least without some empirical data to post up, and I have read that post several times and will provide what I took from what Jim said tomorrow.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Sorry, I don't see it as Jim performing his conjugal duties. I said some of the same things here that Jim said.

Oh, and trust me, Jim is testing Mimosa under NDA.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:25 pm

lligetfa wrote:Sorry, I don't see it as Jim performing his conjugal duties. I said some of the same things here that Jim said.

Oh, and trust me, Jim is testing Mimosa under NDA.

Cool, I was not sure if he was testing their gear, as a WISP I would be VERY interested in Jim's findings in a side by side as he is normally very thorough with his testing and I am in need of some short PTP links with more performance than 802.11n.

Maybe I should call Lee or Ryan over at Mimosa and see if I can get in on some of that free gear.... I mean "testing"?

I have purchased 10 Rocket AC Lite radios and 20 of the PowerBeam AC 500mm but have yet to deploy and test them myself. I did originally set up a Rocket AC lite link early last year or late 2013 that UBNT sent me and it did well but just in 5.7 GHz and I long since took them down as my spectrum is very crowded in 5.7-5.8 GHz with all the AP's I run at each tower. And I have heard that the current firmware has some issues with false DFS detection sending them down to channel 5180???

I have some high value commercial customers that need more than the 97Mbps +/- I am giving them currently with NanoBridge 400mm running 30 MHz wide DFS channels.

I was wanting to move them to 5150 to 5250 (waiting on UBNT certifications) for them.... :headb:

Maybe Jim can send me a PM with his findings as I think the Mimos gear is ready to use the 5150 to 5250 spectrum already which is what sparked my interest with Bill's post and then Jim's rebuttal!

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:39 pm

sirhc wrote:Maybe Jim can send me a PM with his findings...
Maybe he has a sense of humor and will laugh off the PPG comment too. :rofl4:

IKWYM about Jim's excellent attention to detail. I was going to suggest you talk to Rory too, but then Rory is too easily seduced.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Well I was by no means intending to insult Jim in my posts, at least in my mind?! I was just laughing at his enthusiastic attempt to defuse Bill's negative Ubiquiti post and I did/do find funny how he said it. (READ IT AGAIN - THERES IS HUMOR IN THERE) It reminded me of the old joke where the patient says "Doctor it hurts when I do this" and the Doctor replies "well then do not do that".

But Jim has stepped up his number of PRO UBNT posts over the past few months, which if he is passionate about what he is finding and posting then that is perfectly fine as there is nothing wrong with that. I probably have 10 times the number of pro UBNT post on that forum then anyone else and I have been banned since July but I am still number 10 on the all time KUDOS list. :rofl4: I used to remember Jim posting the good, the bad and the ugly but for several months just good things?

HOWEVER if Jim did not intend to seem negative towards Mimosa I have to give him a C- on that aspect of his post. And I did not take away from his post that he had done a side by side comparison.

In fact none of his recent posts that are PRO AF5 verses MIMOSA led me to believe this either, as I said I would be very interested in reading a side by side post by Jim comparing the Mimosa link to AF5 and against the airMAX AC before I buy my next link, might save me some money and aggravation.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:02 pm

lligetfa wrote:I was going to suggest you talk to Rory too, but then Rory is too easily seduced.

I do talk to Rory Conoway, when he is not running around on his newest and latest project, gesh, he is always doing something new or talking about this or that new technology on the horizon. But it has been a couple months, maybe I should give him a ring.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm

You're going to get me in trouble with Rory over my comment, aren't you? :Box:

I think he knows where I'm coming from. I still rib him about when he came back from the UWC in Prague. Some things you cannot escape from. :working:

PreviousNext
Return to The Lounge