Bill vs. Jim - Round 1

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Bill vs. Jim - Round 1

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 pm

eejimm wrote:On the throughput side of things, you might want to read this if you haven't already.
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Sto ... -p/1146365
70Mb on a 10 MHz channel may make using even on 5.8GHz a possibility - narrower bandwidth means less noise too...
Jim

Hey Jim,

I "briefly" scanned that post you linked, 70Mb is impressive, almost unbelievable, but let's hope that is the future of AC gear, right, would be great for all of us!

I might have missed it but I was looking for the distance of the client radios and did not see it.

My concern for him is the 32 mile link distance he needs!!! OUCH

Jim, do you feel that AC in general, not just UBNT, will be effective at that distance as normally I have found that longer distances tend to yield lower capacity becuase it is hard to hold the higher modulations?

Another possibility is to use (2) airMAX links that are approved for 5150-5250 and combine their capacity? *SAFEST BET*

I am not sure if you have room for 2 antennas on both sides?

Or you can try Mimosa connectorized radios using the 5150-5250, I must admit that I am eager to hear about the results from more people for my own selfish reasons for my WISP so do not try this because of my advice as I want you to be successful in your need not spend your money to fulfill my curiosity.

On a side note I recently discovered one other reason for UBNT AC gear being more expensive, as you all know we are working on some radios and one radio we are doing down the road (not any time soon) is an Qualcomm AC chipset and when you license the SDK from Qualcomm you can get the base kit for a certain dollar value (which I am not allowed to say by NDA) but they have one SDK package that includes all chipsets upto and including 802.11n but NOT 802.11ac. The SDK package that includes 802.11ac cost much much more, and then you are "required" pay a license fee per manufactured device. *SUCKS*
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:01 pm

just to chime in here, I had some mimosas on pre-order (2xB5, 2xB5c), I 'passed' them through to another wISP because I didn't have the cash laying around. These are *fantastic* radios (I helped install the B5). They are not quite an AF5, a bit higher latency, but they are a vastly more polished product. Setup is so simple, auto everything works in a way that it just shouldn't. Now, is it worth almost as much as an AF5? IMHO, no. They should be $500 radios. They would be a RocketAC killer at $500 (b5) or ~$400 (b5c). They already run in UNII-1 which is handy.

As far as the window mount units, I think you guys will be blown away. I don't mean because of massive throughput, just that they work at all when experience says they won't. I'm baseing this entirely on my experience with Ruckus gear w/ beamforming, specifically the mediaflex as CPE to a zoneflex AP. They would connect up and work well where I couldn't even see the previous aironet APs. This was in a campus with mixed indoor and outdoor APs and multiple buildings. I litterally couldn't see the old SSID in places and could get 10-20Mbps+ w/ the mediaflex after swapping. who really knows what mimosas devices will do, but I'm withholding my skepticism for now.

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:12 pm

I have a mimosa link running well at 32 miles, but I don't have a long distance ubnt AC link. But based on what I have seen with ubnt vs mimosa, they will likely have similar speeds. Currently I am not using the mimosa on full auto because it did not apply enough TX power for a long link. I am running the mimosa on 2x20, and the biggest advantage I see with mimosa is the ability to change channels independently on either of the frequencies without taking down the link....while looking at spectrum analyzer. This is huge in my opinion....and is nearly enough to justify the added cost of the mimosa gear.

wtm
Experienced Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:43 am

What have you noticed on differences in stability and throughput on the Mimosa's versus say a Regular Rocket on that link?

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:27 am

It just went live about 6:00 last night, jury still out. But it is a 32 mile link and there is real noise. I really don't think I can run single 40 mhz channel. I bench tested with internal speedtest and got over 400 meg....but the built in speedtest seems a bit funny.

wtm
Experienced Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Well, please post your results here, you have basically what I have then, 32 miles distance, and coming out of an urban area on one of the links, probably a lot of noise?
I am hoping it will provide better throughput and that the stability of the link jumping from MCS15 to MCS11 and back within minutes stops! Don't know if it will solve the 10 Db drop we get at night, as that is probably from atmospherics in the urban area? Don't get that on the second link in the rural area.

Currently running a 40 Mhz wide UNII-1 setup. I might be good to take Two 20 Mhz wide channels to replace that. But I was hoping I could open it up to Two 40 mhz wide ones, and get some extra bandwidth there?

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I've never really had issues with rocket stability. currently i'm sending through about 40 meg on 2x20. I failed another link over to it, and got about 70 through it. But part of that was also the link feeding it. I have 2 rocket links feeding it and I'm not sure I could get more traffic through there. Need to upgrade at least one of my rocket links, but its 15 miles....so might depend on how soon I can get a pair of ubnt AC PTP rockets.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Streakwave and DoubleRadius had stock yesterday (rocket ptp)

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 am

sirhc wrote:...

On a side note I recently discovered one other reason for UBNT AC gear being more expensive, as you all know we are working on some radios and one radio we are doing down the road (not any time soon) is an Qualcomm AC chipset and when you license the SDK from Qualcomm you can get the base kit for a certain dollar value (which I am not allowed to say by NDA) but they have one SDK package that includes all chipsets upto and including 802.11n but NOT 802.11ac. The SDK package that includes 802.11ac cost much much more, and then you are "required" pay a license fee per manufactured device. *SUCKS*

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the ubnt AC gear a Broadcom chipset instead of Qualcomm?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:43 am

Atheros aka Qualcomm

PreviousNext
Return to The Lounge