Ethernet and FM broadcast site

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
LRL
Experienced Member

Ethernet and FM broadcast site

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:55 am

One of the tower sites I own I have a broadcaster that wants to install a FM transmitter at 30kw (erp 75-80kw) on a 100' tower. Most of our gear is between 25-40feet with 3 radios at the top. They've offered more $$$ for their lease then WISP income for the site, so....

They want to install their bays between 60-90'. Currently we have home cable runs to the top, but I know that's not going to work once they get on-air. I have 100' roll of 1/2" copper tubing and I'm thinking I could run two runs of shielded double jacket cat5e up to the top through the copper tubing and stick a WS-6-mini up there and be good. Thoughts?

I have a few sites where we're co-located with other FM stations but those sites are all less than 500w with ERP less than 2kw and our normal cable as is has been fine.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Ethernet and FM broadcast site

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 pm

My crystal ball is broken but sounds like it should work?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

LRL
Experienced Member

Re: Ethernet and FM broadcast site

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

We're all installed and I hope for the best! :thumbsup:

Even decided to use the copper tubing for our ground run and stuck the mini in a metal box with the copper bonded to it. The station is suppose to be on the air by the end of November, guess we're see once they crank it up.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to The Lounge