mixing queue types in mikrotik v6?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

mixing queue types in mikrotik v6?

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

The last time I did any intense research into queue types on routeros was in v5. I've just been doing simple queues since then and now I'm looking at how to optimize somethings so I can offer a bit higher speeds throughout the networks.

Now:
RB493G handling simple queues for individual customers. A catch all PCQ for anyone that isn't matched. I also do a queue on backhaul links so that I can keep throughput within the goldie-locks zone for throughput and latency. That's about it.

I just picked up a handful Core2Duo embedded systems with quad intel nices in almost the same form factor as the rb493g, so I plan on replacing the rb493G that is at the head end. I figure it's time to explore some other options.

So I would still sick with the per-user simple queues, but they would be more generous, just to keep the users in-check. If I sell a 3Mbps plan with 9Mbps burst, I'll just give them a 9Mbps queue and let a separate queue-tree based PCQ handle the burstability. I don't like how the burst is a time and average capacity on that queue only, it doesn't make the extra a lower priority or anything etc etc.

On the head end router, build a queue tree appropriate for me uplink. something like:
DL
-business priority 6 PCQ max-limit X
-consumer priority 7 PCQ max-limit Y
-VoIP priority 1 PCQ max-limit 256k
-BULK priority 8 FIFO max-limit Z

similar 'UL' queue.

I would continue to shape ptp links to control latency. Additionally, as I mark connections/packets for QoS I tag them with DSCP for the radio's hardware queue.

so, will this actually work like I want? Let people take the full 'burst' on their plan but with the queue tree's priorities taking precedence?

Return to The Lounge