900Mhz ?s

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

900Mhz ?s

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:13 pm

multi parter:

1) Thoughts: http://routerboard.com/RBMetal9HPn single polarity, but priced ok

2) Anyone know of inexpensive dual-polarity 900Mhz gear w/ >8dBm (as in better than a locoM900)? There is a big gap between the 8dBm loco and a rocket+dual-pol yagi price wise. The loco only has 1 rp-sma port for external antenna and so putting a ~15dBm yagi on there doesn't really take advantage of MIMO.

The RBMetal9HPn looks good, but only single polarity so I can't get the noise avoidance gain from MIMO gear.

That said, the ubnt 900Mhz gear is about the worst performing stuff and that's what I'm testing against. (3mile 900Mhz w/ 2 Nanostation Loco M900). Maybe the 'tik w/ an inexpensive yagi would do better.

I have a couple areas that are very good for 900Mhz, hills and trees making 900Mhz very clean, but the ubiquiti gear never seems to perform to theoretical. :(

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: 900Mhz ?s

Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:07 pm

rebelwireless wrote:That said, the ubnt 900Mhz gear is about the worst performing stuff and that's what I'm testing against. (3mile 900Mhz w/ 2 Nanostation Loco M900). Maybe the 'tik w/ an inexpensive yagi would do better. :(

Sadly even though I am a Ubiquiti fan boy I must agree, their 900 MHz gear blows! :pissed:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Ant

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Off hand no, not really. That's why I suggested the development of the mpcie radio cards. Doodlelabs has a software changeable system developed meaning the base radio is set at say 2402mhz but then you add their Prism-Front End to shift the channel where you need it. One radio card, one mini motherboard, combined with the FES would mean one item as a whole to support since in theory it could handle from 30mhz up to 6.5ghz and maybe even higher up to 10.7ghz. I have sent a request for a developer kit and more details. Everything else I have researched is still "G" based and SISO. There really is no competition for 900 mhz since it is considered a trashed wifi band with the recent 900 mhz give away the FCC did to that company and all the scada equipment.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Ant wrote:Off hand no, not really. That's why I suggested the development of the mpcie radio cards. Doodlelabs has a software changeable system developed meaning the base radio is set at say 2402mhz but then you add their Prism-Front End to shift the channel where you need it. One radio card, one mini motherboard, combined with the FES would mean one item as a whole to support since in theory it could handle from 30mhz up to 6.5ghz and maybe even higher up to 10.7ghz. I have sent a request for a developer kit and more details. Everything else I have researched is still "G" based and SISO. There really is no competition for 900 mhz since it is considered a trashed wifi band with the recent 900 mhz give away the FCC did to that company and all the scada equipment.

'G' radios aren't so bad, I would consider some canopy 900Mhz except everything affordable there is 4Mbps/AP. Useless.

Be nice if we could just downconvert a 2/5Ghz radio to 900Mhz like the doodle labs stuff.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:25 am

so I reached out to doodle labs. Figured that if I could get a radio board from them I could use a 'tik platform and flash openwrt. I was basically told that this would be too small of a volume product :/

Ant

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Yeah, you need to order a good size quantity to deal with them almost like becoming a distributor for them. ;)

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Ant wrote:Yeah, you need to order a good size quantity to deal with them almost like becoming a distributor for them. ;)

I was told that a canadia wISP uses their products in 900Mhz. I'm looking at some pricing and may contact them and see whats up. 20Mhz isn't a lot to work with but with good dual chain 'n radios it's worth pursuing I think. Maybe as a way to feed micro-pops or something if the radios are expensive. They use the open source atheros drivers so should work with any openwrt box and possibly the minipci-e based 'tiks like rb912*.

Return to The Lounge