About Fiber Configurations

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rkelly1
Experienced Member

About Fiber Configurations

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:30 pm

My first experience with fiber will be to run it up a water tower to a Netonix switch at the top. I've been doing a lot of reading attempting to get enough knowledge to order a pre-terminated cable but am not sure if the thinking is correct.

Because we will run a LV power line up, I was thinking
1) run the fiber and copper in the same conduit to a Netonix switch in an enclosure at the top.
2) single mode 6 strand fiber preterminated with LC connectors
3) use the outdoor jacketed fiber to provide some extra ruggedness. Is armoring needed since it will be in a conduit for extra strength/vertical support? My understanding is if it's non-conductive fiber cable it can be run in conduit with LV electric if both are for same purpose. An armored cable is conductive, right?!

4)Not sure if I should use a fan out kit or break out kit...input?
5) Should I have the mfg install cable pull eyes on one end?
6) Is there a particular size fiber/diameter fiber to use? I've ready 900um, 3mm, etc. and not sure on this part.
6) Is there a better way?

Thx!

Texwire

Re: About Fiber Configurations

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:32 am

All depends upon how long the run is up the water tower. (75' vs 250' is huge difference)

1) Low voltage and fiber should not have any hiccups that I am aware of with the exception of copper wire not bit enough to handle the distance without getting hot) If it gets hot then I do not know what it would do to the physical properties of the fiber.
2)This is the way it is most of the time
a) 9/125 refers to a single mode fiber cable. 50/125 and 62.5/125 refer to multimode fiber cable
b) The first set of numbers - 9, 50 and 62.5 refer to the diameter of the fiber cable's core
c) The second set of numbers - 125 refer to the diameter of the outside of the fiber cable's cladding
3) I would probably use the aerial type fiber, this might have the metal wire with it for strength between poles, some of it might have a thick plastic strength member.
4) Not sure but I think you are referring to something like a snowshoe on aerial cable for the possibility of it being knocked to the ground. If so I am not sure if it would help or if the sudden "jolt" when it reached its length would stretch or break it.
5) Wrap the fiber at the top in a loop around something that is round like a water hose roll up.
6) Fiber sizes stated above. Fiber is changing so fast and there is no telling what is out there that will work and what will not.

How much speed do you need up the tower, how many volts to the low voltage? Is the low voltage POE or 2 conductor wire? DC or AC? Is there any comm lines going up the tower also? Netonix going to be powered with this low voltage line? The take 110AC, 9-57v DC, 48vh POE?

Need a bit more information to really help any.

Kevin

Return to The Lounge