mimosa?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

mimosa?

Tue May 17, 2016 8:23 pm

anyone using a number of B5c radios and AF5x and can comment on them? We are about fed-up with AF5x annoyances, ports dropping to 100Mbps primarily, and no effort on ubnt's side whatsoever to right the situation. we've got units dropping to 100Mbps that have 15' of CAT6 to a wispswitch :/

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: mimosa?

Tue May 17, 2016 8:33 pm

I have some B5 links and they work pretty good but they do not have their Flow Control working yet but then again with UBNT's you have to disable it for now until they fix it.

I also like the Rocket AC Lite for PTP links.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 pm

We will need GPS sync so the AC gear is out (who knows if GPS sync firmware will ever be released).

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 am

We have like 10+ AF5X links and right now only 1 that drops to 100M regularly and one other that sometimes.

We are scheduled to replace the cable on those.

But I will agree that the AFX radios seem more prone to drop to 100M than any other UBNT radio.

Let's hope when they fix this Pause Frame Storm issue they will revisit the Ethernet drivers as a whole and improve that as well?

The only thing I can suggest for you is the following which is what we do when we have that problem.

1) Try a different port in switch to eliminate that first as it is easiest
2) swap out the AF radio
3) replace the ends
4) replace the cable

So far we have had good luck getting them to 1G.

But also I do not use Ethernet Surge protectors so if you do you might want to eliminate that in your testing protocol.
Also if you read my one grounding post I talk about static discharges messing with the Ethernet communications so maybe re-visit that post.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1429

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188

Grounding is so critical in our profession for more reasons than people think, ground potential shift and static discharges can mess with Ethernet communication as well as fry devices if bad enough,
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed May 18, 2016 9:45 am

already switched ports on both funky links, already switched wires on one of them. They are grounded well. One link is on the roof of our datacenter and we have to have someone run a line for us (building management only likes one person to run wires :| ) . A 25 meter cable run should not be an issue here. Other radios work very well at 25m PoE w/ gigabit. ubiquiti doesn't seem to care.

I guess a big part of my interest in other products is ubiquiti's non-interest in finding solutions to bugs on their products. Too interested in launching new product lines to fix the ones they have.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed May 18, 2016 10:14 am

rebelwireless wrote: I guess a big part of my interest in other products is ubiquiti's non-interest in finding solutions to bugs on their products. Too interested in launching new product lines to fix the ones they have.

I hear you there but until you find or if you find another radio you like we need to figure out your issue here I guess.

I am just happy we finally got UBNT to acknowledge there is an issue with the Flow Control Pause Frames and they say they will fix that hopefully soon? Some people were pointing the finger at us harshly and getting pretty upset with us over this Pause Frame Storm issue which we suspected was not us and in the end was a UBNT bug and not ours.

I will admit I was concerned that it could have been us and we were trying HARD to find a fault. Now we have since added the Pause Frame Storm Protection back in v1.4.0rc25 and we are investigating if we can setup better water marks in the switch so in the future if a device malfunctions and sends a gazillion Tx Pause Frames at us we can chew it up and keep on running. Thankfully tma (Thomas from Germany) provided proof that it was not us and UBNT then acknowledge the issue and committed to resolving it in a later firmware release hopefully soon.

Other possible things for your issue at hand:
Did you swap out the AF radio as I have found AF radios that have a defective Ethernet port?

Is it possible the wire is running parallel with an AC electric line? If an Ethernet cable runs to close in parallel with an AC electric line or near a florescent or LED light this can cause link speed havoc. You may have an issue with interference in or around the 100 Mhz similar to problems people see on FM towers with Ethernet communications???

Also I assume you tried removing any Ethernet Surge devices to verify they are not at fault?

billbuchan

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:03 pm

I have nothing but high praise for my 6 mimosa B5 pairs. Love them to bits.

We had one pair go faulty - one of the four antenna connections, we're guessing. Got a warranty replacement quickly, and the new set are happy.

Latest firmware - 1.3.1 - has got some issues, but we were advised to revert back to 1.2.3 and everything is happy again.

I think our first 2 pairs were installed in Jan 2015, and have been rock solid ever since.

And - Mimosa support are really good.

So yes, not absolutely perfect, but far far ahead in the stability stakes.

After spending 12 months fighting UBNT's AC firmware (finally got stability at 7.2), I can completely understand your frustration with their lack of focus. I was pondering playing with AirFibre - but I think you've convinced me otherwise.

---* Bill

adairw
Associate
Associate

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:12 am

we have probably 20 or 30 af5x links. some on 20-30 cable runs and other at 300+ feet. we've never had a problem with them dropping to 100M.

We have 6 or 7 mimosa links and they have been fine. Before 1.3.1 firmware I wasn't so sure. No issues with their ethernet either.

Return to The Lounge