Grounding Help

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
wirelessdog

Grounding Help

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 pm

I apologize in advance because I am posting my woes in several different venues and I know some of us are members of them.

I have a new tower build on a tower primarily used by a FM radio station. Their ERP is 7kw and they operate at 103.1FM

I am having Ethernet issues. I can't keep anything linked at anything other than 10mbps. Locking to gig makes the ports flap.

Historically I use shielded cable top to bottom with shielded ends at the top and bottom straight into UBNT PoE injectors.

In this particular case it is not working. I've tried just grounding the top, just grounding the bottom, grounding the top and bottom with no success. I've placed Ferrites at the top and bottom on the Cat5, I've made sure the Cat5 has separation from the FM feedline.

Is there something different I need to do? It has been suggested I run DC power to the top and use a Netonix DC-250 switch and keep my cat5 runs down to nothing and use unshielded ends between the Netonix and the sectors/dishes. How then are the radios ESD protected? This isn't a true floating ground because the antennas are DC grounded, no?

Any thoughts at this point are welcome. I've wasted two days at this site and counting...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Grounding Help

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:53 pm

We have determined and has been discussed here that our DC switches do NOT work on FM Broadcast tower sites.

You should read this post: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1342&hilit=tm+tower

Now we are nearing a redesign of the WS-12-250-DC and WS-12-DC that should work on FM Tower sites but they will not be available until early summer.

I have 2 prototypes to send out to test sites we were working with, one in CA with wifi442 and a volcano in Panama
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to The Lounge