Mimosa MU-MIMO ?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Mimosa MU-MIMO ?

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 pm

I read this one: http://muniwireless.com/2016/03/21/galactus-vs-guerilla-wireless-boy-grown-up/Is Mimosa really performing that much better than UBNT ?

ste

Re: Mimosa MU-MIMO ?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:52 am

There will be no answer as this gear is not available. Only beta testers use it. This story is made by the only beta tester I have heard of and might be not that neutral ...

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Rory is well known and respected... I wouldn't call him out as biased...

His numbers are...well...to high to be a 'fluke'... If you got 50% of those, it would be a significant improvement.

ste

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 pm

rebelwireless wrote:Rory is well known and respected... I wouldn't call him out as biased...

His numbers are...well...to high to be a 'fluke'... If you got 50% of those, it would be a significant improvement.

Then call it "euphoric". We'll see if SW has its edges as it had with B5. The numbers are normal for AC gear using 80MHz channels.
Beta testers who are elected by the vendor tend to be euphoric.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:21 pm

ste wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:Rory is well known and respected... I wouldn't call him out as biased...

Then call it "euphoric". We'll see if SW has its edges as it had with B5. The numbers are normal for AC gear using 80MHz channels.

Hey, not all of us, when I was a superuser over at UBNT I was very BIAS and pointed out the good and the BAD. If they did something I liked (which was most of time) I was the Banana waving the flag but when they did something I hated I spoke very loudly about it.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ste

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:24 am

sirhc wrote:
ste wrote:

Hey, not all of us, when I was a superuser over at UBNT I was very BIAS and pointed out the good and the BAD. If they did something I liked (which was most of time) I was the Banana waving the flag but when they did something I hated I spoke very loudly about it.

I did not say there is bad bahavior. The vendor selects testers. So he would not select the big critics. And the beta testers get something without paying so there is a feeling of obligation. So a beta tester will see the chances of a gear and is not pissed off when he had to reboot on a daily basis to keep things going in beta phase.
The same discussion is with customer tests on amazon where e.g. samsung gives away some stuff for free. This tests are more positive than the average tests.

I am often surprised buying gear soon after appearance which does not meet the enthusiastic beta stories. e.g. with B5 this praised autoeverything feature starts working with FW 1.3.1 for me. All releases before very bad channel selections where made. This is a main feature which makes a difference between this and other gear.

So I guess A5 will need it's time to mature as B5 did.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 am

I don't think the beta A5/C5 gear even has TDMA enabled, pure 802.11ac.

The numbers about improved SNR is what I was referring to, not 80Mhz channels. You can see a similar thing in Cambium. The numbers on output power and antenna gain on ubiquiti don't compare directly with Cambium, a -5dBm disadvantage per published numbers ends up being the exact same reported signal levels once deployed, and then you get a 5-10dBm improvement in SNR with identical signal levels. If Mimosa gear ends up being similar to cambium in this respect, it will speak very poorly to ubiquiti's hardware...

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:27 pm

I don't get this:

MASSIVE SECTOR CAPACITY
A5c is the first outdoor 4x4:4 solution leveraging advanced antenna beamforming and Multi-User MIMO technology. With 4 integrated collaborative antennas, the A5c creates separate "beamforms" to target each client uniquely. Meanwhile a second unique beamform can target a second client simultaneously, getting twice the performance out of the channel.
What does the 4x4:4 actually mean ? It it just that one AP able to handle more antennas ?

Mikea
Associate
Associate

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:51 pm

For those APs that can be mounted on an antenna it means that you need to have a special antenna sector type that have 4 or 8 inputs (depending on AP Model).
But i wonder about the performance (loose or gain) if you use those APs with 2x120 degree or 4x90 degree normal Sectors.
Mike A - www.iwisp.gr

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 pm

mu-mimo and 8 spatial streams, and a lot of fancy code on a very high end 802.11ac radio.. It's nothing all that special on the surface, but obviously is a very difficult thing to actually pull off. This is what all the hype about mu-mimo really is, being able to transmit 2 or more streams to multiple clients simultaneously. In a so called 4x4:4 configuration, 4 clients can be transmitted to at the same time with beam-stearing and some azimuth isolation (it's 4x dual polarity sectors)

What kills me is that ubiquiti's current solution, and only solution for the forseable future, is JUST an 802.11ac radio with 2 channels, wave1 ac , absolutely nothing remarkable other than higher modulations and more cpu cycles :/ You might argue that there are other improvements, but they are there ONLY because they re-wrote airmax.

Next
Return to The Lounge