Mimosa MU-MIMO ?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
jaimefink

Re: Mimosa MU-MIMO ?

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 pm

rebelwireless wrote:Thanks Jaime. Any chance you have some real-world examples for us? I'm eagerly waiting for something to read.... I'm testing out Cambium, but I'm coming up with it not being better enough than ubnt to justify the $$$ (for 450), or it's the epmp which is a bit back and forth and certainly not worth migrating....

I have a LOT of ubiquiti M5 out there that does 802.11n, would be VERY excited to do upgrades to A5 APs....

Rebel - So far all the guys using our gear are in higher density Micro-PoP style deployments, so quite short range suburban versus tower/sector traditional WISP. Guys you can talk to are Rory at Triad, Evan at XL Broadband, Ian at Wisper that if you know any of them.

We have APs with 30+ clients, getting 200-300 Mbps speedtests under load, some of them offloading 802.11n "M" clients for transition. Hopefully that helps, happy to answer questions. The A5/C5 will be in distribution off their boats 1-2 weeks max.

ste

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:15 am

Hi Jaime,

thanks for giving Infos to this forum. More than Info I want to have gear to see it by myself ;-)). Our Distributor in Germany again postponed A5 to mid of June ...

I see much potential in this Micro-PoP style deployment. To bring speed to users we've to reduce wireless cell size. Same happens with DSL-Deployments. DSLAMs are moved into the direction of the users to reduce copper length.

So A5 fits a market need. And this 200-300 Mbps outperforms DSL installations ...

Regards,
Stefan

jaimefink

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks Stefan. You get it exactly. Yes we ran into an issue with ETSI certification, where we had already passed FCC (oddly we usually are faster with ETSI), so we had to make rectifications which took a little time, obviously have to do it right. Apologies for the delay. I was told yesterday we just got the file back from the lab successfully so we're nearly there.

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but feel it needs to be more thoroughly discussed. I'm definitely happy to see the development done with all of Mimosa's products, but am also eyeing the cambium cnMedusa. Once the PMP 450 cpes don't have license locked nonsense, I really think this will be a game changer in the market. I'm anxious to see real world reports on how the A5C works (or even a pair to an 8x8 KP antenna) out a few miles.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:39 pm

same here. I actually have a greenfield coming up and would really consider mimosa...

taormoi

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Can you power a R5AC-PTP using 24VH? Have a WS-6-Mini there and only port 2 available.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:38 pm

taormoi wrote:Can you power a R5AC-PTP using 24VH? Have a WS-6-Mini there and only port 2 available.

You may NOT power "any" airMAX radios with 24VH - white smoke will occur

The newer WS-6-MINI switches support 24V on port 2
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WirelessRudy

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Putting some new life in this topic.

We have for about 2 months running a Mimosa A5-14 in 'interop' mode (802.11 standard csma) and 60 clients assigned.
Clients are a mix of Mikrotik SXT 'n' and 'ac' units.

Clients are on either 50/10 or 25/5 or 15/1 plan. We have no QoS in place (yet) on the network (plenty of capacity at hand).

We know several clients watch IPTV streams apart from all the other usual stuff a modern day family uses (multimedia - social media) and we have our self one Mimosa (5C) for test on our house running off same A5-14.

During the day I can easily download 20-25Mbps of traffic with aggregated throughput on the A5 running up to 60-70Mbps.
A couple of weeks ago we ran with 3 SXT ac's simultaneous tcp bandwidth tests and each unit sustained an almost 30Mbps throughput where the rest of the network was just functioning as well. Total aggregated I saw up to 120Mbps flying over the AP.

We are in a heavy spectral congested area and I used 40Mhz bandwidth. All stations in some 25 to 300 meters range.

One important remark, in follow up on what sirhc already stated months ago is that you have to set your network to work 'at all times' in RTS/CTS mode. For Mikrotik I sort of wrote a whitepaper on that field in those 'greenfield' days where everybody was struggling with hidden nodes and 'n' or tdma was still something for the future or for those with unlimited resources.

Now this is NOT tdma (yet), so also NO GPS sync, NO beamforming and NO MU-MIMO. Plain csma in a overcrowede tdma world and it works fine!

Mimosa just introduced their latest firmware that should now open all this tdma/gps/mu-mimo stuff to the A5's but you need to have a full Mimosa network to use it, which we don't have. Offcourse it then comes with spectaculair frequency re-use, on their blogs a sampe of a guy in the US running of such a network is shown as example. Impressive to say the least...

But we have to stay a bit longer with 'interop' mode. The scale of economy is still that for one C5 you can buy two or more MT or ubnt CPE's and since we think an offering up to 50Mbps for our clients with 60 subscribers on a single AP is more than 300% of what we have been able to do with 2 Netmetals we can't really justify (yet) the extra 200% investment to squeeze the extra gain out of the spectrum to offer speeds nobody wants anyway....

Although Mimosa still need lots of improvements on their GUI and cloud their AP radio's (going to try some A5c with long range clients within a month or so) are blasting everything away I have seen so far. (Although I use Mikrotik, all my competitors work with ubnt and I regularly get their unsatisfied clients or just get to hear the many problems in the field on workshops and exhibitions.)

eCambium is hangin still in the age of 'n' and what I read around some have good experiences, some absolutely burn it down.

I think Mimosa is doing a smart job for the WISP future but they do need to hurry up a bit on GUI improvement and other management issues. And if they really want us 3rd party users to swap they need to do something on the price of the C5. 100+$ for a CPE plus power adapter (go for the embedded G2 wifi, very good!) is not a big incentive to massively throw your existing subs aside.....
If they are not rapid enough in picking the fruits of their achievements it could well be those 'others' are gaining on them .......

The good part of the story for Netonix is; Mimosa needs 48VH power so if you need remote control, Netonix is the brand to deliver the you the power switch! :cheers:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:09 pm

True MIMOSA is best when used with our 48VH but if the cable is not REALLY LONG I have been able to power them with our 48V option which is rated at .75A @ 55C but so long as the switch is in a cooler environment will deliver 1A.

Our newer WS-12-400-AC now have (6) 48VH ports

And our NEW WS-26-XXX-XX also support (6) 48VH ports (coming soon - a 26 port switch in both AC and DC models including ISOLATED DC which is good for positive and negative DC sites. And it will be the smallest 26 port passive POE switch on the market 13.5" x (9.5" DC / 10.5" AC) x 1.5"
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WirelessRudy

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Well, I don't think our Spanish desert like climate here would apply for 'cool' status.
So far the WS-12-250-DC is doing a good job for us. We only want 'DC' units anyway, all our pops are with battery backup.

PreviousNext
Return to The Lounge