5 Port Ubiquiti TS to Netonix Switch

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
Rogue Broadband

5 Port Ubiquiti TS to Netonix Switch

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Just wanted to post and say hello. I just purchased my first Netonix switches from Streakwave. After having many issues using Ubiquiti TS-5 switches at one of my solar powered locations and using one at our office to power the backhaul link, Unifi AP and another Rocket M5. I am very excited to get these new switches in place. Most already know of the issues with a TS-5 when mixing a gig uplink with 100mb devices so no need to go into all of that.

Office Setup
Backhaul - PBE-500-AC - 200mbps
Switch - TS-5 (Replacing TS-5 with WS-10-250-AC)
Access Points - Unifi Ap, Rocket M5

Tower Setup
Uplink - PBE-500-AC - 200mbps
Switches - TS-5/1 Cross Linked TS-5/2 (Replacing both TS-5 units with WS-12-250-DC)
Access Points - Rocket M5 x 5

Historical Data
Speed Test using TS-5 Switches
Real World Office Test Unit - Nanobeam M5-16
Download - 25.2 Mbits/sec
Upload - 43.0 Mbits/sec

Once we replace out the Ubiquiti TS-5 units at the office location and the tower I will re-post my Real world traffic from my office test unit. I have high hopes this will resolve the issues I have been having across my wireless network.

Mikea
Associate
Associate

Re: 5 Port Ubiquiti TS to Netonix Switch

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Hello and welcome to this forum!
my recommendation is to check that BH PBE-500-AC have both Flow Control enabled.
You will be able to see if so in the Netonix UI, you will see the Flowcontrol is active indicator next to ethernet negotiated speed as 2 arrows.

I would like to see the outcome of this overhaul!!
Mike A - www.iwisp.gr

Rogue Broadband

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Thank you and I am glad to be here.

On my current setup with the TS-5 I am using flow control on my PBE-500 backhaul and uplink from the TS-5 ports. I have also turned on flow control between TS-1 and TS-2 at the tower. This current configurations seams to work the best for the equipment I have currently installed.

I have noticed within the v8b7 beta firmware from Ubiquiti I also have options within the PBE-500 Network/Interfaces to set flowcontrol on Send and Receive on LAN0. I dare not to make a change to these settings as I am unsure of what would happen using flowcontrol on the TS and using the send and receive flowcontrol options within the PBE-500.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:21 pm

yeah, don't disturb your currently functioning toughswitches, just replace them :D

Rogue Broadband

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks Rebel, it was actually the majority of your posts on the Ubiquiti forms that pushed me in the Netnoix switch direct. So thank you. I will post new numbers once I have the Netonix switches in place.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:07 pm

It brings back bad memories when I see posts about network troubles because of a switch. I've had to put a $30 DLink at a site and use power strips and PoE injectors to get back online because of a toughswitch. That's a hideous mess, and embarrassing when you take someone else out to replace it when your netonix comes in.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:08 pm

and don't thank me, thank Chris! He and his crew are the ones that took all the risk to make a tailor-made product for the wISP industry.

Rogue Broadband

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Just thought I would post a small update here. We were able to replace our office TS-5 unit on Friday evening with the new Netonix WS-10-250-AC. I still need to go up to the tower and remove the 2 TS-5 units and replace it with the WS-12-250-DC switch as soon as the weather gets better and I will re-post tests on my real world office unit after that as well.

Here are the results after just replacing our main switch in the office to the Netonix switch. I used the same Ookla speed test server on both runs. This is the same server I tested my unit on when this thread was started using the TS-5. I am very happy with the results so far, I am expecting these to be better once the 2 TS-5 units are replaced at the tower.

Historical Data
Speed Test using WS-10-250-AC
Test 1:
Download - 40.4 Mbits/sec
Upload - 32.77 Mbits/sec
Test 2:
Download - 43.8 Mbits/sec
Upload - 24.8 Mbits/sec

Rogue Broadband

Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 pm

The WS-12-250-DC switch is now in place on the tower. The traffic across everything on the switch looks much better. Needless to say I am very happy with these switches. We will only be using Netonix switches from here on out at all of our tower locations.

I have one more large tower that has 5 Rocket AC access points that currently uses a Toughswitch 8 port. I am getting ready to add some additional equipment to this tower and need additional port space so my next purchase will be the WS-24-400B Thank you Netonix.

Historical Data
Speed Test using WS-10-250-AC (Wireless Backhaul) to WS-12-250-DC (Uplink at tower)
Test 1:
Download - 59.4 Mbits/sec
Upload - 32.77 Mbits/sec
Test 2:
Download - 60.8 Mbits/sec
Upload - 39.7 Mbits/sec

Rogue Broadband

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:42 am

I noticed I never posted the screens of the WS-12-250-DC unit we replaced on the hill. We have not done the cable management at this location yet so it does look like crap. I know my ground wire probably shouldn't be white, but it was the only color I had on me at the time...
Attachments
File_000_edited.jpg
Before
File_001_edited.jpg
After

Return to The Lounge