Mimosa B11 full-duplex ?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Mimosa B11 full-duplex ?

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 am

Can anyone tell me if the Mimosa B11 is a full duplex radio ?
http://mimosa.co/home/Products/Backhaul/backhaul-specs/B11-Specifications.html
Anyone that has one in production and can tell me their experience with it ?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Mimosa B11 full-duplex ?

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:06 am

TDMA, TDMA-FD

I think it's support both mode like airfiber 5.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:18 pm

mike99 wrote:TDMA, TDMA-FD

I think it's support both mode like airfiber 5.

TDMA-FD = Frequency Diversity (FD) according to http://help.mimosa.co/backhaul-application-note-tdma-fd

That doesn't sound like full duplex to me....

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Not full duplex according to the specs. It is basically just an 802.11ac radio...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:53 pm

rebelwireless wrote:Not full duplex according to the specs. It is basically just an 802.11ac radio...

Not sure I would call it "basically an AC radio". Should be operating in extremely clean spectrum.

I am extremely interested in getting feedback on the performance of this link, I really hope it is good!

Remember the AFX radios are half duplex but they are very nice radios/links especially if you do not have interference.

I have been waiting on an inexpensive licensed link for those over crowded towers where you need a stable back haul with decent capacity.

If these links are able to produce 500+ Mbps aggregate which they "claim" should be no problem I can see a need for 5-10 of these links in my network.

Before I dis-claim these units I am waiting on some user reports.

I am also happy for the Ignite 60 GHz MEtro link for those "short" PTP links.

My 5 GHz is MAXED out and any link I can move off of 5 GHz and into clean spectrum is a GREAT benefit especially with the Telco's threatening to flood 5 GHz as I will need room to maneuver a way from them if need be.

Would I have like to have seen the AF24 morphed into AF23 and AF18 and AF11 - HELL YES but UBNT has been slow to listen to our needs in this arena, at least someone is trying.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm also eagerly awaiting some results on B11.

'basically an AC radio' is true though. Just like a Rocket5AC-PRISM is 'basically an AC radio'. The implication was that there are certain limitations from running 802.11 silicon and that is that you are always half duplex -or- you have to go dual-radio to get full-duplex like operation.

I'm also maxed out on 5Ghz. My main links are long enough that I can only use UNII3 and they are all AF5X right now with 2-3' dishes. If I am to believe Mimosas link calculator, I'll be looking at 4 links as soon as I can afford them because it will potentially triple the throughput. VERY excited about this product.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:16 pm

In reality 802.11 radios actually have a separate Tx and Rx side and they use an RF switch to change which front end (Tx or Rx) is connected to the antennas for transmitting and receiving.

Now I do not know if the backend radio and A2D is also separate components in the silicon package as I never really looked into it?

If they were then if someone wanted to completely rewrite the drivers/software they could turn them into FD links by removing the switch and using a diplexer or 2 separate antennas?

But that would require an incredibly talented group of programmers to achieve this "if" they are indeed 2 separate radios in the chip.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 pm

well, cambium hasn't done it, nor has ubiquiti's AF former moto team, so I would expect it to be so difficult that customer silicon/FCPGA was easier...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:24 pm

rebelwireless wrote:well, cambium hasn't done it, nor has ubiquiti's AF former moto team, so I would expect it to be so difficult that customer silicon/FCPGA was easier...

Well companies like Atheros/Qualcomm are very protective of the core code and probably would not release that to be manipulated?

As well the only way to change the off the shelf chips behavior would be what is called Hot Fixes as the core code is burned into the chip at the manufacturing process and the amount of code changes may be beyond the limits of Hot Fixes?

Or the other option would be to have enough volume and pull to have them change the code before burning the wafer but that would also be extremely expensive and as you said it is probably easier to define your own radio.

And in the case of the Chicago team they were able to produce a cleaner radio as the wifi chips are designed for indoor applications and they were not very clean radios.

However the new generation of chips being developed now for the indoor wifi industry are cleaner due to the new FCC regs.

ste

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:36 pm

The pricing is not far from SAF Integra. This is a FDX radio with <1ms latency. Works great and very reliable.

Next
Return to The Lounge