Shielded connectors not locking on some ports

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Shielded connectors not locking on some ports

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:08 pm

I sent a message to our China office to review this thread.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

TheHox
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:22 am

I tried 2 boxes of the shield connectors from RF armor but had similar issues, they were decent but tolerances or those tabs were off just slightly that I noticed some weird issues, so I've just gone back to getting the UBNT ones and I don't notice any fitment or securing issues.

If there are any revisions or updates made I would love to try them again.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:48 am

Well I am working with China to resolve the issue reported but to be honest I never have any issues with them and my WISP employees like ours better as they fit on the cable better.

But when we change the Tang I will let you know.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:40 am

I've never had an issue either. The RF Armor shielded ends crimp better in a cheap crimper (for when you lose yours and have to buy the crap one at home depot)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:52 am

rebelwireless wrote:I've never had an issue either. The RF Armor shielded ends crimp better in a cheap crimper (for when you lose yours and have to buy the crap one at home depot)

I stopped buying good/expensive crimpers, the cheap ones work better for me anyway and this way I could care less if the employees lose them.

But we will still look into improving the ends if possible.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't buy really good ones anymore either, the cheap ideals work well, but there are some 'no label' ones I've run into that are truly horrendous.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:19 pm

Sometimes a workman is only as good as his tools but also a poor workman wrongfully blames his tools. The biggest problem I've seen with cheap crimpers is that some of them don't prevent overcrimping. Some folks think they need to squeeze the crap out of them, that the harder they squeeze, the better the crimp. NOT!

The ratchet type prevent undercrimping and most are adjustable for the minimum depth of crimp, but the maximum depth of crimp is built into the die's machining tolerance. If adjusted to a lesser setting, one needs to stop squeezing when the ratchet releases.

All that said, the crimp tool plays no part in how well the clip holds. The geometry of the clip is responsible for that. Sometimes the port itself (or the housing) is responsible for the failure. I often see where the port is recessed within the housing and there is not a deep enough cutout for the release tab on the clip.

I always do a visual followed by the wiggle and tug test to make sure the clip holds. Also do the cable diagnostics to insure a good electrical contact.

Kevo

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Yeah, we've not had any problems with them other than the new cambium power supplies. It's probably not worth it to us to switch to something else if the tab can be changed to fix the fit issue. We only have to shave/file them when using them with those supplies. We don't need to use them anywhere else since we can just use regular unshielded connectors.

I always like using a ratcheting crimper. You can find them for less than $25 if you search and I've never had a bad crimp with one. I've run across enough overcrimps that it doesn't make sense to me to try and save $10-15 bucks on the crimpers. One or two trips to fix a bad cable and it's already paid for itself.

dcshobby

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:50 pm

With these connectors, they don't snap in to the Cambium Force 110 radios but they do Ubiquiti just fine. There must be something just a little different on the Cambium radios. Our premade Monoprice cables that we use in the office snap in fine but not the RF Armor connectors.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:07 am

We've had problems with both the UBNT and RF Armor connectors staying put.
You HAVE to bend the tab outward with your finger or they won't stay in no matter what with both manufactures.
But lately we've noticed issues with cables crimped with the RF Armor ends not making good contact when plugged directly in to a WS. It seems as long as we use the surge modules in front of the switch we never have problems.

PreviousNext
Return to The Lounge