Flow Control on TOUGHswitch ?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Flow Control on TOUGHswitch ?

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:05 pm

I have a TOUGHswitch PoE PRO connected to my Netonix WS-12-250B switch. It seems that the TOUGHswitch can do Flow Control as the Netonix switch negotiates it...

Netonix TOUGHswitch 01.png
Netonix TOUGHswitch 01.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 13415 times

So lets all go back to TOUGHswitches :screwb:

Mikea
Associate
Associate

Re: Flow Control on TOUGHswitch ?

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:10 am

I think that the issue was not that the TS didn't supported FlowControl but the resources (memory, buffers, etc) which they are just so small.
The only usage i can see for a TS is in SOHO installations Unifi (Wireless & Video) and this only in a case you already have a TS.
Mike A - www.iwisp.gr

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:58 pm

toughswitches work fine if everything connected is gigabit. no problem. Using them for unifi installs as the PoE injector works fine with a gigabit upstream switch.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:03 am

rebelwireless wrote:toughswitches work fine if everything connected is gigabit. no problem. Using them for unifi installs as the PoE injector works fine with a gigabit upstream switch.

Yea but for $70 more you can get the WS-10-250-AC which gives you 2 SFP ports almost twice the watts so your power supply will last longer, full snmp, QinQ, and a ton more features.

If I had a TS8 laying around doing nothing I would use it in the manor you describe but if "I" was buying a new one I would spend the $70 more and have all the options in my pocket.

For one the ability to power a couple WS-6-MINI units with 48VH or some other high power device.

Just saying

Plus there are several posts on here where people were unable to get much more than 400 mbps with the TS8 and the WS gave them full line speed
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:20 pm

just to amend this a bit, TSP8 is a hunk of junk. Nothing but problems with them. I'm involuntarily replacing every one, you know, because they stop working properly.

The smaller TS5PoE is a milder form of junk, and is useful as a cheap injector for Unifi or other direct PoE devices.

I don't buy either at this point.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:32 pm

I could see maybe running a TS5 on a short-pencil solar site just cuz you can feed it unregulated 12V. Could also work OK on a boat or other mobile application.

If you have a surplus of TS8 and can find uses for them, then fine but I would not put them in critical locations due to the known issues.

Return to The Lounge