help with new tower

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
smartmoney

Re: help with new tower

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:48 pm

OK equipment is going up this week. Tell me if i'm ok?

Tower is @ 75ft to get clear LOS for backhaul approx 4 miles away receive on 5.8
I'm on a tight budget (startup)
there are max of 40 houses in this area. 8 have committed to signing up. I would guess 12-15 total might eventually signup. I don't see more that 20 total
I would like to have clients on 5.8 if possible but i will mount 2.4 as secondary
Topography:. from tower to top of picture it rises 11ft. from tower to right it's flat with a 10ft dip in the middle. from tower to the left it's flat. from tower to the bottom it drops 15ft

my initial equipment setup is as follows:
Netonix ws-8-25-DC plus 2 batteries to 24v DC power all equipment listed
Meanwell sdr-240-24 plus dr-ups40 for converting 120v to 24v and battery backup
Mikrotik RB400 or Edgerouter x to route the packets (not decided yet, i'm learning edgerouter and have MT everywhere else)
PBE-M5-400-ISO for backhaul
Netonix WS-mini to power the AP radios
AMO-5G13 (maybe should be using the AMO-5G10 instead because of the better downtilt?)
AMO-2G10 (for those in the light tree area that has schetchy 5.8 coverage
LOCO 900 for one client buried in the woods at the top
Picostation M2HP converted to unifi mounted low to give horses internet access :hurray:
I do have 3 of the AM-5G19-120 plus rfarmour shild kits but i think thats overkill for the amount of clients vs cost of deployment. I was going to use that upgrading a heavy used water tower to sectorize it from 2.4
Recomended mounting height for radios?
am i on the right path?

Lastly i'm asking for help on setting up the Switch. Everything i've worked on has been a basic POE to power radio and Ethernet to router thats setup DHCP client and same for others setup as DHCP server for radios. I know its possible but i'm not getting my head rapped around the concept for tagging and setting up the Netonix to power all radios and router.
Example
Port 1 to power the BH radio
Port 2 to power the ws mini
Port 3 to power the router (edgerouter X)
port 4 to power "backup" router (rb400)
another port for DHCP server output? this is where i get lost. :headb: help please!
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG (31.91 KiB) Viewed 21784 times

proposed.jpg
proposed.jpg (267.62 KiB) Viewed 21784 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:17 pm

I am away this week on a short holiday from mon to thursday and this requires a longer response.

Not sure why you did not just use the ws-8 to power all radios, trying to figure out why you need the ws-6 here?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

smartmoney

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:13 pm

Not sure why you did not just use the ws-8 to power all radios, trying to figure out why you need the ws-6 here?

Answer: Tower is located in a horse lot and i didn't want the horses messing with the cables or enclosure and deal with getting 120V to the tower (not many places to get power in a horse stall) so i moved the enclosure inside the barn. With that move i now have a cable run from the top of the tower to enclosure of around 225-250ft. It was easier to run 2 cable runs plus ground for that distance and then power all the AP radios off ws-6 from 1 run and the BH off ws-8 from the other.
Was that incorrect?
Box of wire vs ws-6 is about the same $ so i decided for the easier route.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:21 pm

smartmoney wrote:

Answer: Tower is located in a horse lot and i didn't want the horses messing with the cables or enclosure and deal with getting 120V to the tower (not many places to get power in a horse stall) so i moved the enclosure inside the barn. With that move i now have a cable run from the top of the tower to enclosure of around 225-250ft. It was easier to run 2 cable runs plus ground for that distance and then power all the AP radios off ws-6 from 1 run and the BH off ws-8 from the other.
Was that incorrect?
Box of wire vs ws-6 is about the same $ so i decided for the easier route.

Why not use one ethernet run for data, and the other as a dedicated power cable, and run everything off one switch? Or run a dedicated DC power line. You have the right WS8 so some voltage drop isn't a big deal.

smartmoney

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Why not use one ethernet run for data, and the other as a dedicated power cable, and run everything off one switch? Or run a dedicated DC power line. You have the right WS8 so some voltage drop isn't a big deal.

i have 5 UBNT 24v devices that need power and ws6 only powers 4.
Dedicated DC power leaves me with ws8 switch mounted on the tower. I considered that but i was not felling good about the ws8 mounted in a NON vented enclosure where temps easily get above 115F in the summer and regularly fall below 0F in the winter (operating temps of ws8 are -13 to 131° F) and vented enclosure on a tower up top? the additional cost of that enclosure would negate the $cost of the ws6.

I know the ws6 has the same temp range but there is no fan and assuming it wont get as hot and fits in a smaller enclosure.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Valid
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:52 am

sirhc wrote:Why the AFX radios get hit so bad from M5 gear is I believe they employ an LNA like all airFIBER radios do to amplify the weaker signal since the radios are outputting less power. This LNA will amplify ALL signal as it can not be discriminate and thus even BAD noise is amplified.

No with the AF5X the UI claims 140 Mbps+/- in both directions so an aggregate of 280 Mbps in 40 MHz of spectrum which is nice BUT I really wish it had an "AUTO" duty cycle as I never know which way I need it.

Cost of AF5X link
(2) AF5X $600 for UI claimed 140 Mbps one way (tested at 120 Mbps+/-) or 240 aggregate) or $4.29 per Mbps if costing 1 direction
40 MHz of spectrum

Cost of M5 link
(2) Rocket M5 $160 for 90 Mbps one way or 120 aggregate (tested @ 120) or $1.78 per Mbps if costing 1 direction
30 MHz of spectrum

Now people will say Chris the AF5X can do 280 Mbps aggregate @ 40 MHz and the M5 only 120 Mbps aggregate @ 30 MHz. This is true but since I offer a lot of HIGH END commercial links where I tout faster uplink speeds compared to cable I have to leave the duty cycle at 50/50. The M5 will use what it needs in each direction and as I said in reality when the AF5X claims 140/140 but I really only see 120/120 or 240 aggregate and the M5 is 90/30 when testing bi-directional so I get 120 aggregate.

So with that said if I look at tested aggregate rates:
M5 @ 120 Mbps using 30 MHz / $160 I get $1.33 per Mbps
AF5X @ 240 Mbps using 40 MHz / $600 I get $2.5 per Mbps

I really should get the numbers on AF5X using 30 MHz for a better comparison model but this link is in service.

Chris,

One thing I think you really miss here is the much lower latency on the AF5X radios. Makes a hell of a difference in your network. I have reduced latency within my own network farthest out with > 8 ms by swapping Rocket M5 with AF-5X...
That makes a hell of a difference...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:55 pm

OH, you miss understand, I love the AF5X although it I wish it had a AUTO duty cycle so it would use the bandwidth in the direction it needs.

I am just saying that the AF5X is more prone to interference probably because of the LNA amplifying the lowest amount of noise nearby which is why I am saying I have found the "new" UDK25X shield kits designed to fit the older 30 dB dishes and all the Rockets and the AFX radios are a must with AF5X on towers with a lot of M5 gear. The channels do not have to over lap just butt up against the AF5X to cause interference.

I have an AF5X link that sits close to 14 M5 radios and it does not work at all without the radio cover on it provided with the new dish kits.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 pm

yeah, AF5X is very interference prone which we are finding out. Even on channels pretty far off, if you are within a few feet of it the AF5X doesn't behave well.

Otherwise, AF5X is pretty great.

That said, a RocketAC-PtP (and presumably the PRISM) can outperform an AF5X throughput wise in when the noise level gets a bit high.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Seriously the "NEW" DIsh kit from RF Armor on the legacy 30 dB and 34 dB with the Radio cover designed to fit the AFX radios is AWESOME in these situations.

You can upgrade and existing M5 link with the old Dish kit with the UDS25X (new radio cover box).

Previous
Return to The Lounge