Urban service

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Urban service

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi all. I've been selling to primarily rural customers, or customers that are in a hole in the DSL or Cable prividers' service areas. I'm building out a new site with ubnt AC gear. Site will have roughly 350Mbps backhaul via AF to start with in UNII1. 3x ac-45 sectors and AC-PtMP radios in 20Mhz. This site can see ~25k homes in a mixed urban suburban setting.

I've been selling 20Mbps burstable service for a while now in the rural areas with great results. 6Mbps burst to 20Mbps to keep the netflix etc in check.

I'd be interested to hear about how any of you guys do 20-30Mbps plans, and how much uplink you purchase to sustain that service. I'm going to lean on the cable company a bit (DSL isn't real competition) and I believe some of you (Chris?) are a year or two ahead of me on this.

I'll be pricing near the cable company's rates. Not looking to be the discount provider.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Urban service

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:21 pm

AC gear can actually be worse if there is much noise.

I get 70+ Mbps on 20 MHz channels and 90 plus Mbps on 30 MHz DFS Channels using legacy gear saving a couple hundred dollars per AP plus less expensive CPEs.

But if you have a low noise floor you may like them let us know.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:34 pm

I've been seeing a LOT better on AC gear in 7.1.4. It's now beating M gear clear up to -75. I'm pulling nearly 65Mbps aggregate in 10Mhz at -65. I have a sector with -85 noise floor and clients are getting good speeds at -65, better than the RocketM next to it. I'm not worried about what a sector can do or really even the load because I can make equipment selections to fit, maybe even try out a mimosa sector in due time.

I'm more interested in knowing how you take on the likes of a comcast or charter/tw. When they offer 60-100Mbps service, how do you approach that? I know many people are tired of the cable company and would switch for a real option. There is another wireless carrier that kind-of does urban stuff but they are the bottom of the barrel with 1.5Mbps plans, and a second running M gear but charging like it were the 2000's.

I'm 1 hop via AF5X to my primary uplink and 2 hops via AF5X and AF5 to my secondary and I can get any uplink I like. Wondering what kind of oversell ratios you guys with 20Mbps+ service plans are getting and how you're advertising vs cable.

turtles2

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:12 pm

I have been working on a suburban service. Check out oaknetwireless.com for my plans. But I went to a suburban area going door to door just talking to people. About 20% gave me there phone and email information. Also about 10% said they would sign up but they work form home and there employer decides there provider. I have no gear up yet. I hope to have it up as soon as I get some cash. But I am picking up transit at my tower for about $2 per Meagbit. The area I went D2D in was a Charter and Century link area. The tech side is the easy part the CAPEX and marketing is beast.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 am

I'm competing against fiber in some of my areas. I keep my price a little lower and give customer twice the bandwidth. I'm deploying AC gear for that reason. All my sites are either fed by AF24, AF5 or AF5X. Some small ones have PowerBeam AC.

On 20 MHz channel width with AC gear I can deliver > 100 Mbps.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:31 am

>100Mbps but what are individual service plans and how many on a sector?

Return to The Lounge