RD-34 Rocket dish shield question?

RF Armor®™ is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
wtm
Experienced Member

RD-34 Rocket dish shield question?

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:07 am

Currently have a Rocket Dish 34, in urban setting. Have RF Armor on it, which helps a lot. Wondered if adding an additional front set of shielding to extend the shield out further in the front of the dish would help improve the focus of the dish ? If it would help eliminate more side noise, or interference, it would be worth the cost!

Thoughts on this Chris ?

Thanks,
Wayne

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: RD-34 Rocket dish shield question?

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am

In "rare" circumstances it "can" help but you have to make up a support arm.

However it most cases it causes weird multi-path and reflective issues lowering the air rates but in situations where you NEED a link to work and it just will not work it is worth a try.

The only time this really helps is when you are on one of those towers that is HEAVILY loaded with other hostile 5 GHz devices.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wtm
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:17 am

Since we have spare dish and RF Armor for it, I will give it a try and report back on it?
Thanks,
Wayne

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:22 am

With straight sides it would not affect the "focus" at all. And on the other hand, if it did improve the focus, that would increase the gain which would be illegal.

Eventually, with a longer "pipe" I imagine you might start running into a standing wave. Then it would be interesting to line the inside of the "pipe" with conductive foam to stop that effect.

But gosh, you would have to find some way to support the weight, yet make it adjustable for aiming.

Possibly this is where Ubiquiti's ariprism on AC might help ... but you probably want DFS channels.

-edit- I see now Chris was typing faster than I was. ;)

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:52 am

You might want to try 45 degree polarization. Ubiquiti is releasing a kit for the Rocket Dish that will make this easy.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:32 pm

You know, they had a stupid bubble level on the feed horn, so the very first time I saw one I suggested that they make the feed with circumferential slots so that you could actually rotate / level it.

Matt said it was a great idea, but of course their prima donna hardware developers are all into NIH, so no way they listened to most suggestions. :screwb:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:57 pm

JustJoe wrote:You know, they had a stupid bubble level on the feed horn, so the very first time I saw one I suggested that they make the feed with circumferential slots so that you could actually rotate / level it.

Matt said it was a great idea, but of course their prima donna hardware developers are all into NIH, so no way they listened to most suggestions. :screwb:

Yea I never understood why the bubble level was not mounted to the Dish and the feed horn did not rotate? The bubble is useless as most people do not have the ability to adjust the mounting pole or even tower itself to make it level.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm

sirhc wrote:
JustJoe wrote:You know, they had a stupid bubble level on the feed horn, so the very first time I saw one I suggested that they make the feed with circumferential slots so that you could actually rotate / level it.

Yea I never understood why the bubble level was not mounted to the Dish and the feed horn did not rotate? The bubble is useless as most people do not have the ability to adjust the mounting pole or even tower itself to make it level.

I guess you just REALLLY have to tighten the tower guy wires on one side. :yikes:

Return to RF Armor™