Mimosa A5 series? thoughts

MIMOSA™ is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: Mimosa A5 series? thoughts

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:45 pm

sirhc wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:I'm naively assuming the AF11X > B11 AND the AF11X is way cheaper.

Well one thing that might be nicer about the B11 over the AF11X is the duty cycle.

The MIMOSA will use the bandwidth in either direction whereas the AFX radios are hard coded 50/50 or 75/25

I have sent emails to Robert complaining about the need for Auto Duty Cycle for AFX radios...like he listens to me though.

I completely agree. we are seeing the network move to 90:10 ratio for DL/UL because of streaming video. 75:25 wastes bandwidth even during these periods. I've messaged Robert about this too, arguing that a dynamic ratio, even if it's set increments, would allow a fluid switch from business hours which are more like 60:40 to residential hours which are nearing that 90:10. Plus, I have business clients that do backups at night and they hit the :25 portion of the upload while the download is more or less idle in comparison.

ste

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:18 am

rebelwireless wrote:
sirhc wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:I'm naively assuming the AF11X > B11 AND the AF11X is way cheaper.

Well one thing that might be nicer about the B11 over the AF11X is the duty cycle.

The MIMOSA will use the bandwidth in either direction whereas the AFX radios are hard coded 50/50 or 75/25

I have sent emails to Robert complaining about the need for Auto Duty Cycle for AFX radios...like he listens to me though.

I completely agree. we are seeing the network move to 90:10 ratio for DL/UL because of streaming video. 75:25 wastes bandwidth even during these periods. I've messaged Robert about this too, arguing that a dynamic ratio, even if it's set increments, would allow a fluid switch from business hours which are more like 60:40 to residential hours which are nearing that 90:10. Plus, I have business clients that do backups at night and they hit the :25 portion of the upload while the download is more or less idle in comparison.

Problem is that you cant do gps sync with changing up/downlink ratio. As soon you have 2 AF5X at a site it makes sense to sync and save spectrum.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:06 am

ste wrote:Problem is that you cant do gps sync with changing up/downlink ratio. As soon you have 2 AF5X at a site it makes sense to sync and save spectrum.

Yes but your not using GPS sync very often, so AUTO or DYNAMIC duty cycle can not be used when using sync, problem solved.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:41 pm

GPS sync can be troublesome if you are creating scenarios, but logistically those scenarios probably don't exist.

How many places do you actually have GPS sync airfibers? How often does the ratio between sync radios actually fit the bill? I mean, it's unlikely to be balanced out that you have 3 synced airfibers all wanting to transmit at 75/25...

Also, there is the option of coordinating the radios so that they all switch ratios on a schedule. I think you can look at your throughput charts and see when the appropriate time to change ratios is. You could have the radio's broadcast their ratio layer2 and/or to a list of IP addresses and then switch at the precise moment to a new ratio.

ste

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:00 am

rebelwireless wrote:GPS sync can be troublesome if you are creating scenarios, but logistically those scenarios probably don't exist.

How many places do you actually have GPS sync airfibers? How often does the ratio between sync radios actually fit the bill? I mean, it's unlikely to be balanced out that you have 3 synced airfibers all wanting to transmit at 75/25...

Also, there is the option of coordinating the radios so that they all switch ratios on a schedule. I think you can look at your throughput charts and see when the appropriate time to change ratios is. You could have the radio's broadcast their ratio layer2 and/or to a list of IP addresses and then switch at the precise moment to a new ratio.

We use AF5X to connect smaller sites to bigger sites which are connected licensed. There it makes sense to do 75/25 synced to save our small ETSI spectrum. So each of our AF5X is synced and the traffic is asymmetric downwards.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:47 pm

We use a microcells architectures and, just like ste, we feed secondary tower via airfiber so we can have up to 10 backhauls on a main tower so yes, we often use GPS Sync. This is a awsome feature, not only for frequency reuse but also because with it, we need nly need 5 mhz of guard band between co-located radios. Also, all radio in sync mean a better noise floor so better overall performance. With GPS Sync, we can now have a radio by secondary tower instead of having to share a radio between multiple secondary tower. Shield kit are great to reduce noise when you can't control it but it's even better to avoid noise when you can.
Dynamic bandwith is usefull in some scenario but the're already airmax AC for dynamic "TDMA" even if more features is never a bad thing.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

mike99 wrote:Shield kit are great to reduce noise when you can't control it but it's even better to avoid noise when you can.

Shield kits are as much if not more to combat "hostile" noise as co-location noise and GPS does nothing for hostile noise.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Previous
Return to MIMOSA™