Iwisp monitoring software on Windows platform

iData™ and it's product iWiSp™ is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
kbloch

Iwisp monitoring software on Windows platform

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:20 am

I am curious to see if anyone has been successful in getting the Iwisp software to work on the Windows platform?

I have had major problems in trying to get the software to run. I did have it working once then when I did the upgrade to the newest version everything broke and it could not be reinstalled. I have tried just about every current Windows platform, 7, 10, Server 2003, Server 2008 without much success.

When it was working (version .21) it looked very good but did have some issue with things such as discovery that did not work. It was nice to see in single pain of glass the Ubiquiti and Mikrotik status (sorry don't have Netonix yet). In my opinion they do now have a pricing model that may work for many companies and the details are on the website.

edward

Re: Iwisp monitoring software on Windows platform

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:56 pm

I have an installation on a win10 machine. I did an install on a freebsd10.1 machine and that's what i mostly use now. But the windows machine is still up. Upgraded to v0.25

kbloch

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:15 am

I did get the software to run but without the Bitnami wamp server mentioned. I used wamp server 2.5 and had better results. That being said this is my impression of the software.

This is based on the Windows version of software and may not be the same problems as the linux version.

The bad:

1. Not ready for prime time as too many devices are always showing as offline when they are not.
2. Update would not work in our environment as we have a proxy server and it never worked correctly.
3. Since AirControl 2 has been updated the only benefit is to add the ability to monitor the Netonix and Mikrotik hardware. Yes I know this is a Netonix forum and that may be benefit to users here that would want that functionality.
4. Software uses HTTPs and/or ssh connections to devices and not snmp. This will limit the software in the future to only support those devices that Iwisp decides to support.
5. Software is difficult to install on a windows platform using the suggested Bitnami products as the back end.
6. Cannot get data at a fast enough pace to really catch problems as best case is every 20 seconds and recommended is every 60 seconds or less.
7. Currently does not have the ability to load firmware to devices from the server.

The good:
1. Development team responds well to suggestions.
2. Development has been relatively fast with adding of new devices and functions.
3. The product looks very nice when running.
4. The ability to add or remove columns as needed is a nice feature.
5. I think that more functions and features will be added and the product has potential.
6. The pricing structure mentioned on the Iwisp forums would work for our needs in my opinion. Some people will find that any cost is too much but we found it to be reasonable.

What is really needed in my opinion and this could be from Ubiquiti, Iwisp, Mikrotik, Netonix etc...

1. An SNMP based monitoring system that has been optimized for wireless network management. Why SNMP because it is supported by most hardware vendors and would provide the best method to manage multiple devices. Using SNMP would add the ability to add new devices from any manufacture.
2. Add the ability to poll devices based on http/https or ssh would be an added benefit.
3. The ability of a product to customize the scan times of devices so that if trouble is suspected on a specific device it can be scanned more frequently.
4. The ability to program updates to devices that would run on a schedule.
5. The ability to backup devices on a schedule and only backup if the devices configuration has changed. Whey have multiple backups of the same configuration.
6. The ability to install the software locally or to have it hosted. The hosted option would be a way to for the provider to make additional revenue in my opinion.
7. The ability to customize the layout as needed for the different types of equipment or for different users. Having a template based setup would make that much easier.
8. Having a system that is efficient and does not require a supercomputer to run. We use a program to monitor our network called Statseeker that can monitor thousands of devices and can run easily on a average laptop computer. The program is not geared towards the wireless equipment and it is expensive and that is why I am looking for an alternative.
9. Having the ability of IOS and Android applications to connect to the server.
10. The ability to run reports that are customizable.

As the person that manages a large wireless network a single pane of glass to monitor it all would be appreciated. It is frustrating that every time we add any new hardware to our network we have to add a new server or application to manage that hardware. A server that can do an SNMP walk and let me decide what I will monitor is what I am looking for. I know that the Mikrotik "Dude" software can do many of the things requested but it is no longer being updated or supported the best that I can tell. Other alternatives such as OpenNMS could be modified.

kbloch

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Will update my impressions.

Have since the last post installed version .27 and it is getting better. Can now setup number of pings and times between them to report if device is online or not. This is working much better now with very few false reports.

I have tried Opennms and other software and the Iwisp is much easier once it is installed. If installing on a windows platform it can be a bit difficult. The problem is not really with the Iwisp portion but with the backend server for appache, mysql etc that causes most of the problems.

The development team is receptive to making changes and improve features.

The best thing I now I can have most of my devices used for our wireless network in a single pane of glass.

Mikea
Associate
Associate

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Thank you for your second report,
Please keep up with also good n bad reporting of iwisp so the good can give us boost to solve the bad and make iwisp a better solution.
Mike A - www.iwisp.gr

kbloch

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Yes the Iwisp software is getting better and more stable. I have had zero false reports for devices being offline in the last 24 hours. I am using a 5 second timeout and 5 retries.

And mostly keep in mind the software is beta and is not being marketed at anything but a beta product at this time.

Return to iWiSp™