Internal power ribbon-cable...

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
yahel

Internal power ribbon-cable...

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Probably not relevant for most users who don't break open their Netonix switches (and hence voiding their warranty)...
But in case anyone does - a minor design flaw is that the power cable between the power unit and the main PCB *can* be swapped/reversed - yet when that happens, the polarity gets reversed!
With a minor redesign of the main PCB, this could be fixed to allow free swapping of this cable sides without causing any danger.

minor 2 cents... ;-)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Internal power ribbon-cable...

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:35 pm

People should not open it. :ak:

It is exactly as we wanted it, only a flaw in your mind not the designers.

Who said that will be the only power supply we use with that board?

If we flipped it with only that power supply in mind it would be backwards for another.

This is why the power cable is a "keyed" Molex connector and if you mind the keys your only flipping the color code not the polarity.

So someone has to void their warranty and open it.

Then pull wires off without noting how they came off.

Then if they flip it end for end that only reverses the color code they would have to force the cable on backwards ignoring the Molex "key" on one side then well I guess they get what they get.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

yahel

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 am

The point is that if you flip it and do pay attention to the Molex key you get the polarity reversed (check it out)...
That's a bit unwise - but probably not something I should have posted publically, as indeed it's not of interest to anyone but the designers.
Indeed a minor problem (and for the record - I didn't actually got it reversed and everything is working fine - I was just surprised to see it that way).

Dave
Employee
Employee

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:01 am

molex connectors are often easy to insert any which way, but that is also why we have the + and - identified on the pcb silkscreen, along with using red & black wires in the cable harness....glad you got it right when you did your customization. :cheers:

Return to Dave's Lab