WS-6-MINI Board Temps

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
MyThoughts

WS-6-MINI Board Temps

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:15 pm

We have been using the WS-12-250A units for some time now, and have recently received our first shipment of WS-6-MINI devices. While testing the WS-6-MINI we noted the temperatures seemed alarmingly high.

As an example we are using a WS-12-250A RevB to power equipment on our test bench. We are using ~108W as being reported by the unit, both fans are 0 RPM and temps are 31C/58C/58C (Board/CPU/PHY). Ambient temp is 20C (taken from Tycon Web Power Ext Probe).

The WS-6-Mini we are testing is reporting power usage of 21.4W which is about half the equipment we plan of connecting to it. The temps on the WS-6-MINI are 64C/91C/93C (Board/CPU/PHY) and this in not enclosed, it is sitting free and clear on our bench. We put it inside the outdoor enclosure we have for it and the temps increased to 74C/102C/104C (Board/CPU/PHY). This has us very concerned.

When my company preforms temperature testing we use a hot box heated to our test temperature (usually 45-50C). The hot box has no venting, and no air flow. We would then power the equipment on and run testing on the equipment simulating a stressful max heat output scenario. I am kinda afraid to do this to the WS-6-MINI.

Are the temps we are seeing on the WS-6-MINI accurate? Is your testing for the operating temperature range similar or different to what we do?

Finally, I think it would be really nice to know what the max operating temps for the Board/CPU/PHY would be for all the Netonix models as reported from the units themselves. This way if I log into a remote unit and see a CPU temp of 104C but I know it can operate up to 120C then I do not have to worry.

Cheers

Dave
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-6-MINI Board Temps

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi.

Thanks for your question...the temps you see are ok. I tested at 55 degrees Celsius with a 100 watt load, and the board temp was around 90C, and the CPU/Phy temp were about 105C. The board temp is accurate, whereas the PHY/CPU temp have a large tolerance (+- 15% possible) as they were intended by the switch core chip vender only as a reference reading.

As long as the board temp stays below 100 degrees, it should be fine. This version of our switch will run hot for sure, no fan & a small case, but it was designed to run hot.

Out of curiosity , do you have more than one mini to compare temps against?

Dave

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:27 pm

To add to this the Vitesse VSC-742X family of switch cores are rated to run at 125C chip temperature all day long. This is one of the main reasons we went with this manufacturer over several others we reviewed prior to selecting a switch core for our product line.

The MIL Spec version of this chip does not allow for hotter operation but rather colder operations but the colder operation is based on what is called a "cold start" meaning the chip is idle and 'cold' and then switches on.

There were other reasons we chose Vitesse as our core and price was NOT one of the primary considerations. This family of switch cores is not Vitesse's bleeding edge family but rather a mature product used in hundreds of thousands of units for over 4 years so we knew the core was what is called in this industry as a 'Stable Product Family' meaning not many "hot patches" would be expected as the product is mature.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

MyThoughts

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for the quick update. We have not had any performance or reliability issues we just wanted to verify everything before deployment. I do have 3 more WS-6-MINIS but we have not done much more then test basic functionality and update the firmware.

Keep up the great work!

Dave
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:22 pm

thanks, we really appreciate all feedback, as it helps us develop better products!

chrisb

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:10 am

One of our units was running so hot that is shut down this past summer, opening the enclosure brought it back to life.

Current Thermal Temp during our winter when the abient temp is 54 degrees is
Board Temp 52
CPU Temp 79
PHY Temp 85

Where CPU usage is 99%, I am not sure why the CPU is so high?
Total is 26W with a thru put of 100Kbps, not much usage yet as its early am

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:17 am

What version of firmware are you running? (For CPU usage)
CPU useage has nothing to do with switch capacity.

A quick search of the forums will yield the answers to this:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2313&p=16378&hilit=+cpu+core#p16378

As far as temperature in box it is always a good idea to vent boxes (can't hurt).

A quick search of the forums will yield the answers to this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2437&p=17012&hilit=+box+vent#p17012

You can get plastic vents for boxes that are EASY to install:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ox+vents&*
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to Dave's Lab