WS-12-250-DC orientation?

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
billprince

WS-12-250-DC orientation?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 pm

All the illustrations I've seen of this switch show the DC terminals on top, which puts the fan on the bottom.

OK. I can see this, the side opposite the fan has a bunch of ventilation holes, so this would let the hot air out.

However, the fan (which is now on the bottom) is an exhaust fan. This means that rather than letting the fan help the natural hot air rising, it would be pulling the air in the downward direction?

The other issue is the DIN rail mount is spring loaded on the top. With the weight of the switch, plus the weight of the cables, the DIN spring is partially depressed.

Seems to me that the "correct" wall/DIN rain mounting orientation should be with the fan on the top, the DC terminals on the bottom, and the DIN-spring on the bottom as well?
-bp

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-12-250-DC orientation?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm

We have a search function on the forums

Advanced Search: "+DIN +FAN'"

Best Result: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1638&p=12155&hilit=+DIN+FAN#p12155

DINs now have the FAN on top.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

billprince

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks sirhc.

I'd searched several flavors of that, but never found it. The thread you mentioned did not really answer my question other than to indicate that others had the same question as I.

I take it that the illustrations are incorrect. I will re-orient ours to have the fan on top (and the DIN rail spring on the bottom).
-bp

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:14 pm

billprince wrote:Thanks sirhc.

I'd searched several flavors of that, but never found it. The thread you mentioned did not really answer my question other than to indicate that others had the same question as I.

I take it that the illustrations are incorrect. I will re-orient ours to have the fan on top (and the DIN rail spring on the bottom).

sirhc wrote: I think you're right that we should flip the DIN rail connector.

I think you could mount it either way but I think the pressure clasp should be on bottom?

I will discuss with mechanical engineer (Merle)

In my post I linked you to above I agreed and had the DINs changed so the FAN is on Top and clasp on bottom.
I must admit I did not go back and change pictures but newer DIN Mounts should be correct and have FAN on top and clip on bottom.
I will investigate this week.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to Dave's Lab