Switch not pulling IP address from DHCP

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
SLIutah

Switch not pulling IP address from DHCP

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:54 pm

First off I'd like to say that I LOVE these switches. They have been an answer to my prayers!

The issue I'm running into is that after switching to DHCP, the switches do not pull an IP address from the DHCP server. I have to factory reset them in order to get back into the management GUI. Here is my config:

Untagged VLAN with Public IPs from the DHCP server.
Tagged VLAN 100 for management purposes getting internal IPs from the DHCP server.

Also, either I'm having a blonde moment every time I touch these switches (very likely) or there is no way to make the switch pull it's management IP address from a vlan. I'd prefer these get an IP on my management vlan rather than a public IP address on the public untagged network.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Switch not pulling IP address from DHCP

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 pm

What firmware version are you running?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

SLIutah

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Forgot to mention the firmware version. Silly me. It's 1.3.3

SLIutah

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:09 pm

It might be notable that I was able to get them to pull an IP address when I had them plugged into my local internal network when configuring them, but once I deployed them they wouldn't pull anything. In my lab they had a constant connection to the DHCP server. In the field they have to fully boot and power on the radio that feeds them which then has to boot before it can successfully get an IP address from the DHCP server. I pulled them back down from production to test in the lab again and it was again able to pull the IP address from DHCP. So I tested and turned them on a few minutes before putting them on the network. They didn't pull an IP address when doing it that way. I gave them a full 24 hours and still nothing. After a few days, one of them did pull an IP address, but only one out of 4.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:59 pm

SLIutah wrote:It might be notable that I was able to get them to pull an IP address when I had them plugged into my local internal network when configuring them, but once I deployed them they wouldn't pull anything. In my lab they had a constant connection to the DHCP server. In the field they have to fully boot and power on the radio that feeds them which then has to boot before it can successfully get an IP address from the DHCP server. I pulled them back down from production to test in the lab again and it was again able to pull the IP address from DHCP. So I tested and turned them on a few minutes before putting them on the network. They didn't pull an IP address when doing it that way. I gave them a full 24 hours and still nothing. After a few days, one of them did pull an IP address, but only one out of 4.

I would say you have guessed the answer here, the switch boots up but there is no DHCP server available so it fails over to the static IP address.

I am not sure how we should address this as people wanted the switch to fall back to the static IP address when DHCP failed.

This is one of those issues where how do you make everyone happy?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

SLIutah

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 pm

That makes perfect sense, except it's not failing back to the static.

I guess a workaround would be I could set the static up as something within my subnet but out of the DHCP range as a failback, but hope it goes to DHCP.

One challenge with it auto-defaulting to static is that most of these will be powering the radio that connects it to the DHCP server. Is there a way to make it so that if it is defaulted to static due to a failed DHCP request it will then re-request DHCP after a certain amount of time?

On the other note, is it possible to force the unit to use a certain vlan for the management IP address?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:16 pm

SLIutah wrote:That makes perfect sense, except it's not failing back to the static.

I guess a workaround would be I could set the static up as something within my subnet but out of the DHCP range as a failback, but hope it goes to DHCP.

One challenge with it auto-defaulting to static is that most of these will be powering the radio that connects it to the DHCP server. Is there a way to make it so that if it is defaulted to static due to a failed DHCP request it will then re-request DHCP after a certain amount of time?

On the other note, is it possible to force the unit to use a certain vlan for the management IP address?

I would set a static address for now and I will talk to Eric but I do not expect a fix for this soon as we are a tight schedule now for Vegas.

Think about it, the switch boots up and is told to acquire a DHCP address but the DHCP is not there because the backhaul link to the DHCP server is not up yet and could be several minutes if it is an AF link. All DHCP clients have a time out and most are a minute or less.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Chris,

I do normally run DHCP on all my equipment. Except for the Netonix switches. On them DHCP is not working very well. I ended up in situations, where I couldn't connect to the switch and had to connect with serial cable. Not nice when you have to drive several hours to get to the switch.

DHCP is something that actually works very well with the shitty old TOUGHswitches. Do it like them and you have a working system. I had all mine TOUGHswitches (Before I throwed them in the carbagecan and replaced them with Netonix) running DHCP and never had a problem with that.
If switch was rebooted and link had to come up before the switch could get an IP-address, that was no problem. I think the UBNT way of running DHCP is to check for DHCP and else assign fallback IP, then wait a little time and check DHCP again...

billbuchan

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:40 am

Hope this helps. DS Snooping ON on each port appears to eat the DHCP reply. Look at the General and the firmware forums.

Switch OFF the DS snooping feature.

---* Bill

Return to Dave's Lab