Power consumption of WS-6-Mini

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
patagonia

Power consumption of WS-6-Mini

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 pm

What can I expect internal power consumption of the WS-Mini to be? I've noticed that my WS-8-250-DC uses about 8 Watts when the fan isn't running and without heavy network traffic. I'm using it for a solar repeater and am thinking that if I used the WS-6-Mini and a third-party DC regulator then maybe I could get less standby drain. It's no good to have your switch consume twice what your network gear uses.

Would using a WS-6-Mini do any good? Or can anyone recommend a better way to save power?

Thanks

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Power consumption of WS-6-Mini

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:45 pm

4 watts +/-

This is not a low power Switch Core (VSC-7424), it offers the same features as our larger models such as the WS-24-400A so there are trade offs and power consumption is one but you get a boat load for those 2 extra watts.

If we used a low end SOHO switch core like other vendors such as the BCM-53115 power consumption would be less than 2 watts but then people would complain about buffers being too small and throughput issues.

This is basically the same switch core as in out WS-24-400A with all the same abilities which is the VSC-742X series with the same amount of memory and flash as it's bigger brother.

The VSC-742X architecture is was designed as a solution for small to medium Enterprise or entry level Carrier switching - SME

The BCM53115 architecture is the optimal solution for consumer switching - SOHO
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

patagonia

Re: Power consumption of WS-6-Mini

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:33 pm

That makes sense. In other words, "you get what you pay for" both in terms of money but also in terms of power.

Unfortunately for me, my internet source doesn't get above 1Mbps even on a good day so enterprise level speed doesn't do me any good. Maybe you could put the self-consumption in the data sheet so so less informed buyers like me could see it before buying. I do have another project coming up that it will be perfect for so I'm not complaining, just suggesting for other's benefit.

Good luck with your business.

Return to Dave's Lab