Dumb question but.. trying not to drop a netonix tower site.

Technical discussions about our hardware electronics with our product engineer.
desertadmin

Dumb question but.. trying not to drop a netonix tower site.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:33 am

So I have an odd question.

Is it possible with the following example:

Batteries ---> Mppt---> Load side---? Netonix

I want to redo our buss bar and have multiple battery arrays and mppt for solar and wind combined but... I do not want to drop the site.

So is it possible to keep everything attached to the previous example and hook up a new batter array and MPPT then off of its load side plug in via the banana plugs on to the current running Netonix power port. Once connected (hopefully no back feeding of power or fire situation...) I would turn off the MPPT 1 load port and be running on the new array. (Hopefully with no fire etc..) . Once I have everything connected on the new bus bar I would turn back on the first MPPT and then shut off the second MPPT's load port so that nothing bad would happen.

Is this possible or do I risk death and fire and cool points?

Please give me a reason why this would not work. Main goal is to keep the site going while I re-design everything with out a drop in current. I figured it would be the same thing but unsure if the smart DC power would work ok with this.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Omniflux
Experienced Member

Re: Dumb question but.. trying not to drop a netonix tower s

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:36 pm

I'm not completely clear on what you are trying to do. If you are attempting what is shown in the attached image, then it should work, but you will want to make sure your voltages on the two MPPT units are matched fairly close, or it may cause the Netonix to reboot when you connect the second unit while live.
Attachments
Sample.jpg

desertadmin

Re: Dumb question but.. trying not to drop a netonix tower s

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm

That was exactly what I was trying to do. And it did work. Which was exciting because it was a critical site that I needed to upgrade some hardware add in a battery bus bar (proper) with a new additional battery array all while trying to keep everything going. But to my excitement with some old gear (status unknown) had one bad MPPT two bad netonix and finally when I had a working model I did the power change from one array to another and all worked. This allowed me the confidence to do it live and all went smooth.

No drop in voltage, new battery bus bar, new additional batteries. No more generator needed if we dip in voltage on this remote hill top.

My banana plugs should be in soon so I can do this with even more confidence.

Thanks for the reply

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Return to Dave's Lab