Switch becomes non responsive after turning off POE on a swi

WadeMcKewon

Switch becomes non responsive after turning off POE on a swi

Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:26 pm

Hello,

Have two Netonix WS-8-150 DC switches located on a ridge top in Southeast Alaska. The ridge has not been accessible for a few weeks now so I turned off a camera to conserve power by using the POE feature of the switch. The next morning I turned the camera on and then off a few minutes later. After I pushed save to turn POE off I lost contact with the switch and it stopped passing traffic. At the time I did not correlate the powering down of the Camera with the switch failure. The next day I was working with a device on our back up switch also a WS-8-150 DC and when I turned off the POE option on one of our radios I lost communication with that switch and it is now not passing traffic. Not sure what is causing this and I now have a very upset customer. I have never had a problem
with these switches and the POE function. I have many Netonix devices throughout our network.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Wade

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Switch becomes non responsive after turning off POE on a

Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:26 am

No idea, sorry.

What firmware version?

So obviously there is a wireless link to this tower, does close side of link show link or power down on remote side?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WadeMcKewon

Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:14 pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply, the firmware is 1.5.8 and yes the close side radio does have a link to the switch Also our back up switch also showed a link light on the port facing that that switch. As I mentioned I have since lost the back up switch as well but the radio connected to that switch still shows a link. Both radios get their power from the switch so since they are both still up we have not lost power to these switches or anything like that.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm

Well your going to have to upgrade to latest RC version and see what happens.
1.5.8 is really OLD

Can you ping switch?

When on site can you console to the switch?

Is the switch connected directly to the battery bank or what is powering it.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WadeMcKewon

Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:44 pm

I realize that the the firmware is old, this is a critical link that is in a very remote site only accessible by helicopter so when we are on site (the only time I feel comfortable upgrading) it is usually during the day when the link is in full use. I would be surprised to hear that this failure hasn't been noticed before this.

No we can't ping the switches

I haven't been able to get back to the since this happened due to weather hoping that things will settle down this weekend. I am planning on swapping out this hardware when we get up there.

They are connected to the battery bank directly but behind breakers of course. They do have power because they are powering the radios and both radios which are up and have link lights.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:06 pm

Are you using SNMP on this unit?

WadeMcKewon

Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:35 pm

Yes we are, and monitoring with PRTG but that system has not been able to access these switches since the event so we are not getting any info.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:40 pm

WadeMcKewon wrote:Yes we are, and monitoring with PRTG but that system has not been able to access these switches since the event so we are not getting any info.

So there is a fix in the latest RC version fixing a memory leak with SNMP.

It is possible the unit if had not been rebooted in a long time used up all memory and the Linux which runs on a different processor that controls the UI is locked up.

Return to Hardware and software issues