vlans over a trunk not working?

jluczynski

vlans over a trunk not working?

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:10 pm

We have a WS-8-150-DC for an end cabinet with equipment in it that needs to be managed and traffic for some devices separate. As I read through a lot of these vlan topic I think I understand but something just not right to get this working. So the POE is also powering the radio PTP with a trunk vlan all the wireless links use as well as a management vlan on the same port. We also have port vlans as none of the equipment is able to vlan tag.

So if we have the radio on port 3 with a vlan trunk of 888 and a device on port 2 with vlan 202 and port 1 with vlan 100 as well as leaving port 6 available to see and manage all devices on the switch and the radio.

Would we set the trunk on port 3 seeing the range of vlans and port 1 and 2 T with their vlans respectively and port 6 truck with all vlans to be able to see them all? The trunk on port 3 is T across all ports. This doesn't seem to work but I assume I am missing one switch flag to get this working. I know the switch is able to communicate across the wireless link as it picked up the root bridge mac but nothing else is able to communicate through the switch.

Regards,

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: vlans over a trunk not working?

Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:16 pm

A schema would help to help you

Also, don't use the trunk feature if you want only a single VLAN to pass through a port. Trunk are use to pass several device between switchs or up to a router.

jluczynski

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:25 pm

Good day,

Not sure what you want for the schema, but the idea of this switch is to control and manage 2 devices each on their own vlan. The connection to the switch is through a radio which is trunked on its own vlan.

So radio port 3 POE trunk on vlan 555
Mobile sign on port 4 on vlan 204
CCTV on port 5 on vlan 202

ports 1&2 are going to be management on vlan 200.

Currently plugged into the management port I can not ping or log into the radio which has management set to the same vlan. But the switch can ping the radio. So the radio port is trunk allowing the vlan range and the ports are T with there vlan everything else is either U/E.

It appears to act like nothing is going over the radio. When plugged into the management vlan I should be able to see and get to over 100 devices and don't see any of them and the other vlans have couple dozen devices that I don't see or get too. Not sure if its the ports and how we set the vlan or the radio port and the trunk?

Regards

jluczynski

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:43 pm

Here is a sample of one of the switches I am trying to configure. Port 3 is the radio to this site. The management vlan needs to be able to see everything on that vlan on the network and does not. The DMS communicates on that vlan but is not remotely accessible on that vlan. The DMS will be in port 2. Do I untag port 2 and management ports and tag them going out port 3?
Attachments
netonix vlan.JPG

mike99
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:53 pm

With current config, vlan 100, 103 et 999 will pass tagged through port 2 and 3. We would need to know the config of the devices on port 2 and 3. Do you detect any mac address on those vlan ?

The're was also a bug about forwarding with some switch when the came out of the box. Try upgrading at 1.5.6 if you didn't do it already.

Return to General Discussion