AF / X / 5 / 24 / 24HD / MIMOSA / MikroTik Repair Service

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
sirhc
Employee
Employee

AF / X / 5 / 24 / 24HD / MIMOSA / MikroTik Repair Service

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 pm

THIS SERVICE IS SUSPENDED FOR NOW
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY MORE RMAs for AF / X / 5 / 24 / 24HD / MIMOSA / MikroTik

So here is the deal.

If your going to throw it away anyway why not send it to us to take a look, your risk is the cost of shipping.

We are starting a repair service for airFIBER 5 / 24 / 24HD radios.
We are starting a repair service for airFIBER X radios.
We are starting a repair service for MIMOSA radios.
We are starting a repair service for MikroTik routers.

Note:
AF5X radios "may" not be economical to repair as they are much cheaper and maybe considered disposable? Sometimes they are easy to fix sometimes they cost more to fix than is worthwhile. We will quote you the repair fee once we determine the damage.
MIMOSA "Lite" radios are also not repairable.

Note (JUST THE BOARD):
If your out of country you can remove the AF24 boards and RMA just the board which is very economical to ship to use and back.

We will document to you what we find and if it can be repaired and how much the repair cost will be.

If the unit is deemed unrepairable and you wish us to ship it back return shipping is at your expense and there is a $100.00 fee or you can donate your board for parts to repair other boards which there will then be no charge if we can not fix it.

The repair service will be handled via RF Armor and not Netonix.

So if you wish to send it to us to look at and possibly repair please feel free.

Fill out the Form below and email to chris@rfarmor.com and I will send you an RMA # back.

WARNING: Our repair service is not authorized by Ubiquiti (R) or MIMOSA (R) so we will violate any warranty claim you have once we open and repair your unit.

RMA#:
Date:
Name:
Company:
Address 1:
Address 2:
Address 3:
City:
State/Province:
Postal Code:
VAT #:
Telephone:
Email:
Model:
MAC/SN:
Just the board (yes or no):
Symptoms and events around failure:

Please do not send back any power cords or louse items.
Make sure to package the unit not to get damaged in shipping as you will get the same unit back, we prefer the original box.
Your radio will be evaluated to determine if it can be repaired.
If we can repair the unit we will do so and give you the cost. You can either purchase the repair or abandon the unit in which case we will fix and sell the unit to recover our costs.

If the unit is deemed unrepairable and you want it back you are responsible for return shipping plus a $100 service fee or you can abandon it and it becomes a part donor for other repairs giving meaning to its death and there is no fee.

Ship to:
RF Armor
RMA #
154 Earland Drive
Building 5C
New Holland, PA 17557
USA
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Julian

Re: Repair Service

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 am

AF1 Repair log here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AJL ... SRXRE/edit

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Chris will be in touch!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

OK, it is fixed, you will need to purchase this repair service: https://www.rfarmor.com/equipment-repai ... 00-00.html
Make sure you put your RMA # in the comments section at checkout.

So in this case you did good, a $3,000.00 +/- radio fixed for $400.00 + shipping each way so less than $500-$600 total.

But I will say this looks like either a massive amount of ground current or a direct strike on the tower.

Make sure your tower grounds are bonded to the electrical service ground rods.

I would also put in a NEW service ground rod and bond to existing service ground rods which I had to do recently at one of my sites doing damage to AF24HD radios.

Actually AF24 is not susceptible to ground current damage like the AF24HD is if you do not hook up the ground lug on the AF24 as that radio is insulated from the tower just like a NanoStation whereas the AF24HD with the aluminum housing is bonded to the tower and the tower ground.

Anyone else wanting to RMA an airFIBER radio for repair read above for instructions.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Dawizman
Experienced Member

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks for the great service guys. I always seem to miss the notes section in the checkout to put the RMA number. I purchased the repair. I can send the order number if need be.

Thanks again

Julian

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Already on it's way. I wasn't super hopeful when the "L-word" was used (lightning), to be honest, but thankfully the visions I had of this:

AF24Lightning.jpg

weren't accurate.

Glad we could help you out, keep in touch!

Julian

Re: airFIBER X / 5 / 24 / 24HD / MIMOSA / Repair Service

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 am

So, I got an interesting one from overseas the other day (New Zealand), and the way it was packed was exactly what I'd like to see.
Especially for you international guys, it just makes sense.

AirFiberPacking.png

Not only does this take 90% of the grunt work out of fixing the thing (which saves you money), it also saves you money on postage.

Now, a few things about disassembling these --

1. Save the little plastic caps you pop off. You should end up with 11 total, including the one under the UBNT sticker.

2. Use the right screwdriver. #2 blunt nose phillips with a long shank will do nicely. You need the long shank as some of the screws are very deeply recessed. The screws are stainless steel, if you strip one, you might as well just chuck that housing.

3. When separating the heat sink from the reflector, lift slowly and straight - the antenna poles are just glued together and may end up rattling around the inside of the reflector if you're not careful, since there's not much clearance room - If they do, though, glue 'em back on, no big deal. The GPS antenna connector can also make this tricky, there's a plastic plate you have to detach from the reflector assembly.

4. You then have about a million screws attaching antenna poles through the board to the heat sink with longer screws, and 2 shorter screws attaching the board between the two poles. HDs will have cable brackets holding the GPS cable in place, you do need to undo those screws as well.

5. When you do finally separate the antenna poles from the board, there're some pinkish purple thermal blocks that are absolutely critical to reliable operation - they may stick to the board, they may stick to the shielding - You want all of these on the board.

That does it for disassembly. Reassembling your unit is pretty simple if you just reverse the sequence. Make sure your thermal blocks are in place, and make sure your screws are only hand-tight. When putting the heat sink back on the reflector, make sure that the white silicone weather seal is in place, leaky radios don't work long.

If there's interest, I can post a complete teardown/reassembly video.

:cheers:

caasberg

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 am

Good luck with the repair service, very nice. :-)

How about the rocket AC ? Is it possible to have them repaired too? Now or in the future?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 am

caasberg wrote:Good luck with the repair service, very nice. :-)

How about the rocket AC ? Is it possible to have them repaired too? Now or in the future?

Its possible depending on what is wrong with it but the cost becomes a factor.

I am really not interested in doing repairs for a loss for other manufacturers equipment like we do for our own. 90% of Netonix repairs are a loss for Netonix.

With the Rocket airPRISM the repair fee is a problem due to these factors:
Cost of shipping both ways
Repair fee from us and cost of parts

When you're talking about a device that cost less than $200 new there is not much room to work with.
Assume up to $50 in shipping both ways
Assume our min repair cost if even as low as $100 which bottom to where it even becomes break even or slight profit.

Is it really worth while?

Return to airFIBER™