AF5 vs other APs in area?

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

AF5 vs other APs in area?

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm considering getting an AF5. I know that they can be hogs, but I have a link that I need a bit more out of and I think a 20Mhz channel w/ AF5 fits the bill.

My question is, how badly will AF5 stomp on a competitors sector in the following scenario:

my ptp is ~13miles, almost right in the middle there are two high rises off to the north, one right at the edge of my first fresnel and the other half way out into the second fresnel. The structures don't interfere with me, but both have sectors for 3 different ISPs, all in 5Ghz. I get a lot of noise from them.

My question is, since AF5 is constantly transmitting at full power, how badly is this going to stomp on their sectors @7Miles as described above? Every channel has something on it. I'm seeing their various sectors at typically -85 to -90 but they are somewhat low utilization. I'd be hammering them at full power.

I'd go for 11Ghz, but $2k vs $7k for hardware, plus licensing etc is a massive difference and I simply can't afford the extra $5k+

Magician
Associate
Associate

Re: AF5 vs other APs in area?

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:54 am

Rocket AC? I am seeing great results with my 18 mile PTP in both 20 and 30 channel widths.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:18 pm

AF5 will probably kill them....

I have 2 towers with AF5 in both. On one of them is Airmax sector (With full RF Armor) pointing in 45 degrees opposite direction than AF5.
I mistakenly chose the same frequency on the AF5 as the one on the sector.

5 min. after I got first call from customer. "My Internet is down". I looked at AP at sector. It had dropped >all< clients....

UPS :working: :willy: :yikes:

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:33 pm

jjonsson wrote:UPS :working: :willy: :yikes:

Would that be United Parcel Service? or Uninterruptible Power Supply? or OOPS? :yikes:

ASDN

Tue May 17, 2016 4:58 am

lligetfa wrote:
jjonsson wrote:UPS :working: :willy: :yikes:

Would that be United Parcel Service? or Uninterruptible Power Supply? or OOPS? :yikes:

Lol :lol:

Return to airFIBER™