AF5X erratic power consumption - 2x modulation

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
BaldwinCo

AF5X erratic power consumption - 2x modulation

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:07 pm

(I posted this on the UBNT AF forum and have not had much luck, so I thought I would try it here as well given the insight came from the Netonix Switch.)

I have installed 7 AF5X PtP systems and they are all performing very well except for this one. The remote modulation is limited to 2X:

1) The channel is clear, and changing the channel does not change the limited modulation

2) Tried more power and less power

3) Tried changing duty cycle, automatic power limit, etc.

However, I just happened to notice an erratic power fluctuation on the AF5X via a Netonix switch. I have a 5 Mb short video that captures the power going from 8 watts to 16 watts and back to 8 watts as the signal strength jumps from 51 dB to 58 db and back. (video too big to upload, but happy to email it to you)

It is just conjecture that the erratic power changes are related to the limited 2x modulation. But what do you think?

Thank you for your help!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: AF5X erratic power consumption - 2x modulation

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Sounds like interference. Try shutting other links down on each tower 1 at a time until you see the modulation stabilize.

airMAX radios bleed outside channels.

I had this issue recently on a tower.

Nothing beats the Legacy 30dB dish with the UDK25X kit which has a Rocket cover that now fits the airFIBER X radios correctly.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

BaldwinCo

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Thank You. I have two Rocket AC PtmP on the tower that do not seem to affect this issue. I do have the Iso Beam radome on the AF-5G30-45 antenna.

When I reduce the power on the AF5X from 54db, to 48 db, to 44 db ... the power jumps are reduced from about 16 watts, to 13.5 to 11. So, there is a direct correlation to power setting and wattage jumps. Note that I get best modulation at 48. (Cable diagnostics are fine - length is 33 meters, using 24V on 8-250-AC)

Also, this tower is used by Verizon ... which is something I don't have experience with.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:50 pm

My WISP was putting in an AF5X link replacing an older Rocket M5 PTP link the other week on a tower with a LOT of airMAX M5 radios.

As I said we put the link in a Legacy 30dB dish with a RF Armor Dish Kit (the new UDK25X made to work with AFX radios and ALL rockets).

Well actually we just upgraded the radio cover on the back with the UDS25X as the older Dish Kit radio box would not accept the AF5X

When we had the radio cover open the link struggled to maintain a good link.

Just saying!
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

BaldwinCo

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:56 pm

OK, now I am with you. I will order radio covers and use them as I get back to each PtP installation. It will be awhile for some of them but will report back on what I see. Thank You.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:59 pm

BaldwinCo wrote:OK, now I am with you. I will order radio covers and use them as I get back to each PtP installation. It will be awhile for some of them but will report back on what I see. Thank You.

Those radio covers will not fit on the Dish you have, they only fit these antennas.

Fits the following Ubiquiti antennas:
RD-2G-24 (2 GHz, 24 dBi)
RD-5G-30 (5 GHz, 30 dBi)
RD-5G-34 (5 GHz, 34 dBi)

I have learned already that it is better to stick with the Legacy Dishes and put the RF Armor kits on them especially in HEAVY RF environments or on towers with airMAX radios in close proximity but one may consider my opinion very BIAS so I guess we will have to wait and see what others find out over time!

BaldwinCo

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions on this. I have continued to tune the connection and I am getting 4x/6x modulation which is acceptable for now. The folks on the UBNT AF forum suggested that I try using 48VH. This link

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/215999457

Says that the newer AF5X will accept 48VH. Any thoughts on this?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:26 pm

That is what I have heard but I am waiting for other people to try it first - LOL

Return to airFIBER™