Netonix WS-8-150-DC Switch Self Reboot

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
smeyer

Netonix WS-8-150-DC Switch Self Reboot

Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 pm

Hello All,

I'm experiencing a strange occurrence with a few Netonix WS-8-150-DC switches. 3 out of 6 switches on the network have unexpectedly rebooted over the past few months. The switches were installed and working (no changes) for over 1 year before this issue started occurring. I monitor the status of each Netonix switch from the other Netonix switches using the ping watchdog feature (switches ping each other every 7 seconds). No actions are taken by the watchdog except to log the event.

The switch logs are sent to a remote syslog server. When reviewing the logs I found that the affected switch will start logging watchdog events indicating the switch cannot ping the other switches on the network. The other 5 switches on the network do not generate ping watchdog failure logs until the affected switch reboots without user interaction. The equipment on the affected switch remains online during the start of the watchdog failures until the switch reboots.

Why is this switch rebooting?

All switches are on V1.5.14 firmware. SNMP is disabled.

Any assistance or guidance is appreciated!

Thanks!

Cdev

Re: Netonix WS-8-150-DC Switch Self Reboot

Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:25 pm

Possible watch dog memory leak,
Can test: If you log into all your switches and check memory usage, they should sit around 70-75Mb if they are well above, like 100Mb+ then its likely to be a memory leak.
Fix: Said to be fixed in 1.5.15rc3 (we have 124 switches currently running this, and its working pretty well for us so far) only issue we have had is if the switch uses sfp this can lock up on fw upgrade and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

Return to Hardware and software issues