switch push 2 gigs?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Mike

switch push 2 gigs?

Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pm

Hello folks, so i have a ws-24-400b and a ws-26-400-ac switch so I know this is probably a stupid question but if I v-lan 12 ports separate from the other 12 ports on a particular switch and feed 1 gig into one sfp port assigned to 12 ports and a gig into the other sfp port assigned to the other 12 vlan ports, I take it the switch will handle a total of 2 gigs of traffic. 1 gig on each 12 port vlan? If thats true, is there a limit on traffic can you come in and out with a gig multiple times so switch pushes several gigs total if several vlans set?
Also, which switch would be better to do that on out of the 2 mentioned and is there any thing to look out for or possible issues etc....

Mike

Mike

Re: switch push 2 gigs?

Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:24 am

so when googling i saw this answer below so basically it depends on the switch so Im asking about this one is it gig per port and can handle multiple gigs if vlan or does it have max capability?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It depends on the switch. Some switches are full line rate per port. Some share the 1Gb between multiple ports. Many older or cheap switches share 1Gb of bandwidth between 4 ports. One port can push 1G but if the other ports sharing the same ASIC are engaged at the same time then they can’t exceed 1G.

Some switches have 1G per port but other limiting factors. If the switch isn’t non-blocking or shares too many small buffers, etc. Or if the aggregate bandwidth of the switch is reached. Maybe 1G per port on a 48 port switch but only 30G bandwidth on the whole switch. Sometimes the features you enable on the switch or on a port lower this as well."

sakita
Experienced Member

Re: switch push 2 gigs?

Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Unless I'm mistaken or something else changed, the Vitesse chipsets in these switches are a non-blocking so the "24 port" models (which have 26 total ports) have a total capacity of 26Gbps (for example, look at the PDF specifications for the current models). Each port goes right into the switch chip at full speed.

The only sharing that is done is on those older models that have 4 ports that are either copper or SFP. In that case you can only use either the copper or the SFP not both at the same time on those shared ports. Whichever you choose (copper or SFP) will have a full gigabit into the switch core.

There are products on the market, for example some MikroTik models, that combine physical ports into one internal chipset port. In the case of MikroTik they often provide a block diagram so you can see when they do this.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

Return to Hardware and software issues