Stable firmware version (long term stable)

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
wisp-wand

Stable firmware version (long term stable)

Tue May 17, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi Everyone, we have many Netonix switches in our network, and they have the TLS browser issue as they are running older firmware. As they work fine we havn't kept them up to date until now (I have switches on 1.4.7 with over 2 years uptime) so I'm wary of losing this stability. I see for example the latest version has issues with Vlan / Q-in-Q so is there a magic version that everyone is happy with? Like Mikrotik's long term stable version? I'm starting to upgrade the switches on Thursday night (doing an easy access one first, will reboot it before I begin I can see thats important with some of the high uptimes we have)

any advise on this welcome, really hoping to not destabilise the network!

Thanks

Wayne

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Stable firmware version (long term stable)

Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 am

Firefox is working fine with older firmware and if ever they follow chrome, they're still Internet Explorer.

wisp-wand

Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 am

Thanks for that, yes mainly Chrome and Edge here. I've heard 1.5.10 is good. Can I jump from 1.4.2 to 1.5.10 ?

mayheart
Experienced Member

Thu May 19, 2022 12:39 pm

I'm waiting until the a version comes out with the QinQ vlan bug fixed before mass deploying the next version. Will have to resort to older builds of Chromium until then...

wisp-wand

Mon May 23, 2022 4:49 am

I've cancelled the update for now, seems no one has a straight answer on best stable version (with Q-inQ working) and whether we can jump from 1.4.2 to 1.5.10, or if we need an intermediate version (and what that might be)

I guess we'll have to lab it up as it seems no one has chartered this territory.

Thanks

Wayne

wtm
Experienced Member

Tue May 31, 2022 12:18 pm

Suggest upgrading to version 1.5.12 on ALL switches as soon as possible. Or you will get locked out from accessing the switches when using the newer browsers. You may think you are OK, and then you will get a browser update, and you will NOT be able to get into the older Netonix firmware units. The newer browsers do NOT have any programming on them to allow you to go around the new TLS security in the browsers. You are suddenly stuck with NO Https access to your switch. (you have to then start looking for older computers that have obsoleted browsers on them).

Heed the warning !

wisp-wand

Tue May 31, 2022 12:26 pm

thanks but I have a server in the network with an older version browser on it, which I can use to access the older kit. My point is, the netonix switch base is stable, and I've been burnt before rushing into upgrading perfectly working equipment for some feature or another only to then have an unreliable network because of being on bleeding edge firmware.

In this case Netonix have said something is broken in the latest firmware, a feature we use so I'm sitting tight for the moment until it is fixed and I have time to lab up the upgrades to see what happens.
Disappointing not more info from Netonix but there it goes. Leader to follower.

mrmarria

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:00 pm

Ver 1.5.8 has been without problems for me - like to see ver 1.5.8.T for TLS security update, just add the browser secure update. I know simple :lol:

Return to Hardware and software issues